Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)'s Reviews > Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Aug 28, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 2011-reads, fantasy-sci-fi, library-book, paranormal
Read from August 28 to September 02, 2011

I finished this peculiar book a couple of days ago and thought I'd let it stew to see how I felt about it. It turns out a couple of days is either too long or not long enough. I still don't quite know how to take this but some of the salient points are starting to slip away. So I will go ahead and put some words together before anything else leaves me.

Jacob is a geeky kid without a sense of belonging. He doesn't seem to fit in with his friends, family, or community. I know it sounds like a familiar setup for a fantasy book, and to some extent it is. But This is a refreshing story of the boy drawn into the world of peculiars and their fight against the monsters. I liked the hints of romance. I LOVED the pictures throughout the book. I certainly liked the imagery portrayed with the settings and descriptions. However, I thought the plot had a few weaknesses. And there were a couple of things that just didn't make sense.

So while I liked the world building and found the characters interesting, I didn't really find what happened to them all that interesting. So while I liked so many things about the story, I just didn't like the story itself. This book ends with an obvious set-up for adventures to come. I can only hope those stories capitalize on the groundwork which has been laid.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children.

08/31/2011 "I finished but I'll give it a day to percolate before I give it a rating and a review. Odd."