Mickey Reed's Reviews > Double

Double by Jenny Valentine

liked it
bookshelves: 2011, arc, around-the-world-tour

I received this ARC through the Around The World ARC Tours. Here is my honest review:

Chap finds himself in a predicament when, after two years of being on the run, he is confronted with a choice: admit who he is or take someone else's life. It would be easy to pretend to be Cassiel since he looks just like him. He's never had a family, but is the grass greener on the other side? Chap is about to find out.

I felt like the first third of this book took a while to get going, but once the story picked up it really took off. Twists and turns started happening. I wasn't ever completely sure of where it was going to go. I can't even imagine being in Chap's shoes! I read this in one day, so it definitely kept my interest.

Full review to be posted on blog closer to release date @ imabookshark

What I liked:

-The mystery. Once Chap meets Floyd things start to really get interesting. And not knowing how he's going to handle taking someone else's life got my heart racing sometimes.
-The twists. Perhaps I should have seen one of them coming, but I didn't, and I totally yelled a profanity when it came up. I was shocked! And some of the other stuff with Frank was unpredictable too.
-Chap's past. I liked the stories about him and his Grandad.

What I didn't like:

-Tense changes. This was written in first person, past tense. Sometimes, though, the changes in the tense that didn't make sense to me. It is an ARC, so maybe that will get fixed.
-The characters. I never really felt connected to Edie. Frank was kind of weird. Helen was so aloof and strange. Chap was pretty good, as well as Floyd, though.

Bottom line: I read this quickly and really got into it at the end but this isn't a must read novel.

Rating: 3.5 / 5 book sharks

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Double.

August 27, 2011 – Shelved