Jeanette's Reviews > Life of Pi

Life of Pi by Yann Martel

bookshelves: bookclub-read, fiction

There is something magical about this book.

Life of Pi by Yann Martel follows the fictional adventures of a young Indian, Pi (Piscine Molitor) Patel, growing up as a son of a zookeeper and then surviving the shipwreck in the Pacific, with the loss of his whole family.

Pi is the lone survivor. He tells an amazing story of survival in the company of Richard Parker, a tiger from his family's zoo. The story is told as a documentary, with the author/’reporter’ giving snippets of the adult Pi's life in Canada in between Pi's own narration. It persuades the reader that such an epic journey could possible before pushing the boundaries into the truly fantastical (almost magical realism, except a natural explanation is given). I especially was immersed in the story of the shipwreck and survival, as the beginning, while interesting tending to waffle a bit, and the ending - dialogue between with the blind Frenchman and then later the report of the Japanese investigators was a bit ordinary (and even farcical).

Even though I don't think truth is as fluid as Pi believes and I am convinced that faith can rest on firmer foundations, I loved the story. It contains a sense of wonder, beauty, humour and of absolute terror and danger, of being finite in the face of the infinite. In that sense, it is like life itself.

Having seen the film first, then read the book, then the film again - both, in different ways, have their strong points. The film for sheer visual splendour and drama, the book for allowing us to delve deep into Pi's thoughts and emotions, to understand how and why he did things. Yet the book too is visually grand and well worth the read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life of Pi.

June 12, 2017 – Started Reading