Jane Willis's Reviews > Dark Chapter

Dark Chapter by Winnie M. Li

As other readers have commented, the constantly changing viewpoint makes it quite difficult to follow this book to start with, but it is well worth persevering because it is a mechanism used to very effectively build up the suspense and horror of the time leading up to the assault, and of the assault itself.
We know right from the outset that there WILL be an assault, and I was rather surprised to find it happened half way through the book: once I'd reached that part I thought "So what now?" but the aftermath of the scene and the effects it had on Vivian, Johnny and their friends and families actually kept me rivetted right to the last page.
A great debut but I'm worried that if the author writes another book, it may not tell such a powerful story. The plot for this book was inspired by personal experience, and I would hope that nobody goes through an experience as horrible and powerful as the one that inspired this book more than once in their lifetime. It will be interesting to see if she can write as well when drawing purely from imagination rather than experience.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Chapter.

June 12, 2017 – Shelved