Michelle Marin's Reviews > Possession

Possession by Elana Johnson

did not like it

Since I read "The Hunger Games", I have devoured the dystopian genre. For the most part, I have enjoyed each book, and each author does his/her part to create a unique spin on the genre.

I haven't finished Possession yet, but so far I don't have anything positive to say about it. So here is a short list of the reasons why this book should stay on the shelf.

1. The characters' names-- I read book reviews for YA books every day, and I have seen some terrible names in current YA fiction i.e. Tansy, Elvira, etc. However, this book takes the cake. We have our heroine Vi, and the two boys who complete her love triangle: Zenn and Jag. And yes, those are their real names. I can't take the book seriously when I read the name Jag. (Also Jag has two brothers, Pace and Blaze)

2. Sector Names-- The government is ruled by the Thinkers (how original), but even more original are the names of the two types of people who live in this society. It is a war between the Baddies and the Goodies. Do you think you can figure that one out?

3. The Dilemma-- Vi, our heroine, grew up a Goodie, but she has escaped the Goodlands and is now on the run in the Badlands. Can she be both good and bad at the same time? Do we care?

4. Ridiculous plot-- If you can't already tell, this book is horrible. I'm still reading it because I can't give up hope that something will turn around, and the book will magically redeem itself. It would take a miracle.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Possession.

August 27, 2011 – Started Reading