Chris Aldrich's Reviews > Maps of Time: An Introduction to Big History

Maps of Time by David Christian

bookshelves: big-history, evolution, history, highest-recommendation, owned-ebooks, most-influential-to-me
Recommended to Chris by: Bill Gates via The Chronicle of Higher Education

This is an interesting change of reference from a historical perspective combining cosmology, astronomy, geology, microbiology, evolutionary theory, archaeology, politics, religion, economics, and history into one big area of contiguous study based upon much larger timescales. Though it takes from many disciplines, it provides for an interesting, fresh, and much needed perspective on who humans are and their place in the world.

I'd highly recommend this to any general reader as early as they can find time to read through it, particularly because it provides such an excellent base for a variety of disciplines thereby better framing their future studies. I wish I had been able to read this book in the ninth or tenth grade or certainly at the latest by my freshman year in college.

This could be an extremely fundamental and life-changing book for common summer reading programs of incoming college freshman. I wish I could make it required reading for life in general.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Maps of Time.

Quotes Chris Liked

David Christian
“As an anonymous wit is supposed to have put it: "Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas which, given enough time, changes into people.”
David Christian, Maps of Time: An Introduction to Big History

August 26, 2011 – Started Reading
August 27, 2011 – Shelved
August 27, 2011 –
page 34
March 1, 2012 –
page 35
5.24% "Reread some of the beginning this morning as I get back into David Christian's audio lectures."
April 28, 2012 –
July 8, 2012 – Shelved as: history
July 8, 2012 – Shelved as: highest-recommendation
November 7, 2012 – Shelved as: owned-ebooks
October 15, 2014 – Shelved as: most-influential-to-me
October 21, 2016 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
October 27, 2016 – Shelved as: library (Paperback Edition)