Rimsa Ivashkov 's Reviews > The Golden Lily

The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead

WOW!!!!! This book was beyond all my expectations - and they were pretty high! I have been obsessed with this book for a very long time and to finally get to read it was so satisfying because it was totally worth the wait and i LOVED every word of it :)

In The Golden Lily, we get to learn more about the alchemists and the vampire hunters. Although, one of the major twists in this book was predictable for me, i still loved the plot and enjoyed it just as much. This book introduces a lot of new things and hints at secrets the alchemists are hiding, like Marcus Finch. I found all of this new info really intriguing because it kind of gives us ideas about whats to come in the rest of the series. Even though there isnt that much action and it focuses more on romance, i thought the pacing was perfect and there was never a dull moment.

I really liked Sydney in Bloodlines, but in TGL she grew so much more and i found her clulessness very funny and adorable. She has changed a lot since we first saw her in Blood promise and i think she is turning out to be a wicked and kick ass heroine. She has become one of my favourite protagonists. Eddie was as cute and fiercely protective as ever and Jill was pretty cool in this too - she matured a lot. Angeline is a character that i was initially a bit unsure about, but she totally grew on me and i ended up really liking her. I'm not quite sure if i'm Team Jill or Team Angeline for Eddie yet!
Trey was in this book a lot more and i LOVED his scenes with Sydney - particulary, some of the things he said to Sydney about dating made me laugh out loud :D I think Trey is a realy interesting character and i am really curious to see where his loyalties lie in future books. Brayden was a good addition, even though he wasnt my favourite. His scenes with Sydney where quite funny in a totally awkward way and his lack of chemistry with her just reinforced how perfect Adrian is for her.

ADRIAN *sigh* he is such a sweetheart and i fell in LOVE with him even more than before (if thats possible) He was so funny and cute and charming and dreamy and just everything that I so love about him. His scenes were to die for and not a single thing came out of his mouth that didnt make me swoon. His relationship with Sydney is just so cute and endearing - they really bring out the best in each other and their chemistry is SIZZLING!!!! They are a perfect balance for each other and SYDRIAN is definitely my OTP! There are so many swoon-worthy moments with the two of them like the dance, self-defense, pool-side outing and so many more. The last scene was so .....words cant describe just how much i absoluteky adored that scene. BUT, it made the wait for Bloodlines 3 so much worse :(

Overall, this book was exceptional and 5 stars dont do it justice, cuz it deserves so much more!!! Ofcourse, Richelle Mead is an AWESOME author and all her books are amazing, but for me, this one is something special and has hooked me in a way that no other book has.

My fav book of 2012 and totally RECOMMENDED

And some teasers ;) .....

“He finished cleaning my cheek and set the washcloth down. He cupped my face in his hands. ”The only thing true about what you just said was the storybook damsel part - and thats only because you’re pretty enough to be one’

'Nice blouse, Sage,' he told me, deadpan. 'It really brings out the khaki in your pants.'

'Dont worry about it,' Adrian told me. 'If he didnt notice how awesome you were in that dress, he probably wont notice anything now.' He hesitated. ' Not that there's anything to even notice. You're as cute as usual.'

' I feel like I've just crashed someone's date.' Adrian remarked once we were getting on the highway. No one had tailed us out of downtown, making me feel much safer. 'Like i'm intruding on you two. If you want to drop me off somewhere, i'll understand'

'Thanks. And i'll give Brayden a talking to so he doesnt try anything on Thursday'
My mind was full if Latin and Shakespeare. 'Try what?'
Trey shook his head. 'Honestly, Melbourne, I dont know how you've survived this long in the world without me.'
'Oh,' i said, blushing, 'That.'

“He nodded. “The other thing that bothered me…well, he said all that in front of you.”
That was a shock too. I brushed it off, feeling a little flustered that he would think so much of my opinion. Why should he care? “Don’t worry about me. I’ve been with much more abusive people than him.”
“No, no…I mean…” Adrian looked at me and then quickly averted his eyes. ‘After what he said about me, I can’t stand the thought that you might think less of me.”
I was so surprised that I couldn’t muster a response right away. When I did, I just blurted out the first thing that came to my mind. “Of course I don’t.” He still wouldn’t look at me, apparently not believing my words. “Adrian.” I laid my hard over his and felt a warm spark of connection. He jerked his head towards me in astonishment. “Nothing he said could change what I think of you. I’ve had my mind made up about you for a long time…and it’s all good.”

I was astonished to see Adrian watching me, a look of contentment on his face. His eyes seemed to study my every feature. Seeing me notice him, he immediately looked away. His usual smirky expression replaced by a dreamy one.
“The mechanic will wait,” he said.
“Yeah, but I’m supposed to meet Brayden soon, I’ll be-” That’s when I got a good look at Adrian. “What have you done? Look at you! You shouldn’t be out here.”
“It’s not that bad.”
He was lying, and we both knew it.

“Come on, we have to get you out of here before you get worse. What were you thinking?”
His expression was astonishingly nonchalant for someone who looked like he would pass out. “It was worth it. You looked…happy.”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Golden Lily.

Quotes Rimsa Liked

Richelle Mead
“Adrian, I'm on a date. Why are you here? On my car?”

Richelle Mead
“He leaned closer to me and then seemed shocked as he realized what he was doing.

"Why would you do that? Why would you do that for me?”

Richelle Mead
“I tried to be a better person for her– but it was to impress her, to get her to want me. But when I’m around you, I want to be better because… well, because it feels right. Because I want to. You make me want to become something greater than myself. I want to excel. You inspire me in every act, every word, every glance. I look at you, and you’re like… like light made into flesh. […] You have no clue how beautiful you are or how brightly you shine.”

Richelle Mead
“It doesn't matter. Take Eddie's blood. Take Belikov's blood. Take your own for all I care. But If she doesn't want to give hers, then that's all there is to it. She said no. This conversation is done.”

Richelle Mead
“You'd give up drinking to go see your dad?"
"Well, not permanently," he said. "That'd be ridiculous. But maybe I could switch to something slightly cheaper for a while. Like...slushes. Do you know how much I love those? Cherry, especially.”

Richelle Mead
“Adrian ordered a martini, earning disapproving looks from his father and me.
'It's barely noon,' said Nathan.
'I know,' said Adrian. 'I'm surprised I held out that long too.”

Richelle Mead
“He shouldn't have said that," repeated Adrian, eerily serious. He leaned his face toward mine. "I don't care if he's not the emotional type or the complimentary type or what. No one can look at you in this dress, in all that fire and gold, and start talking about anachronisms. If I were him, I would have said, 'You are the most beautiful creature I have ever seen walking this earth.”

Richelle Mead
“Sage," he said. "What are you wearing?"
I sighed and stared down at the dress. "I know. It's red. Don't start. I'm tired of hearing about it."
"Funny," he said. "I don't think I could ever get tired of looking at it.”

Richelle Mead
“He shook his head. “No. Because there's no one else out there who understands you like I do.”
I waited for more. “That's it? You're not going to elaborate on what that means?”
Those green eyes held me. “I don't think I need to.”

Richelle Mead
“Day 24. Situation is growing worse. My captors continue to find new and horrific ways to torture me. When not working, Agent Scarlet spends her days examining fabric swatches for bridesmaid dresses and going on about how in love she is. This usually causes Agent Boring Borscht to regale us with stories of Russian weddings that are even more boring than his usual ones. My attempts at escape have been thwarted thus far. Also, I am out of cigarettes. Any assistance or tobacco products you can send will be greatly appreciated.
-Prisoner 24601”

Richelle Mead
“I’d mentioned this odd wardrobe choice to Adrian a couple of weeks ago:
“Isn’t Dimitri hot?”
Adrian’s response hadn’t been entirely unexpected:
“Well, yeah, according to most women, at least.”

“Really, Sage? A date?”
I sighed. “Yes, Adrian. A date.”
“A real date. Not, like, doing homework together,” he added.
“I mean like where you go out to a movie or something. And a
movie that’s not part of a school assignment. Or about something boring.”
“A real date.”

Richelle Mead
“Adrian stood there leaning against the doorframe, watching me with his heart in his eyes. In my chest, my own heart was breaking. On my cheek, the lily reminded me who I was. ”

Richelle Mead
“Nothing he said could change what I think of you. I've had my mind made up about you for a long time... and it's all good.”

Richelle Mead
“I find prostitutes vastly important.”

Richelle Mead
“He reached out and pulled me to him, one hand on my waist and the other behind my neck. He tipped my head up and lowered his lips to mine. I closed my eyes and melted as my whole body was consumed in that kiss. I was nothing. I was everything. Chills, ran over my skin, and fire burned inside me. His body pressed closer to mine, and I wrapped my arms around his neck. His lips were warmer and softer than anything I could have ever imagined, yet fierce and powerful at the same time. Mine responded hungrily, and I tightened my hold on him. His fingers slid down the back of my neck, tracing its shape, and every place they touched was electric.”

Richelle Mead
“He froze, and for one moment, we stood locked in time. I could feel the silk of his shirt against my skin and the warmth of his body. The lingering scent of the overpriced cologne he wore floated around me. No smoke for a change. I’d always told him the cologne couldn’t be worth what he spent, but suddenly, I reconsidered. It was amazing.”

August 27, 2011 – Shelved
June 6, 2012 – Started Reading
June 6, 2012 –
0.0% "FINALLY!! i 've been wanting this for ages, SO EXCITED!!!! :D"
June 7, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

Lissa It's team JELLIE (Jill/Eddie) and team ANDDIE (Angeline/Eddie), lol. I actually came up with the ANDDIE name. xDD I loved Angeline ever since she appeared in LS. I wanted her with Eddie as soon as she set foot in Amberwood in the 1st book of Bloodlines, lol.

Great review! ^^

Rimsa Ivashkov Thanks! Jellie sounds quite funny :D

Stephanie OMG THOSE TEASERS. Ah, you're killing me. Those three days (it's June 9th here in Australia as I type this) are gonna be killer. AH.

I need my dose of Adrian <3

Lissa lol Oh no, I meant JEDDIE, not JELLIE. xD I always got confused, somehow, with JELLIE and JEDDIE, lol.

message 5: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Ivashkov Sydrian scenes were so swoon-worthy in this book! I hope Sydney gives in to her feelings soon in the next book.
Great teasers!

Elena OMG! i just saw the cover for the next book! i think the mystery guy is MARCUS.

Keira i thought that too! that means he's a significant character in the TIS. BTW, i'm Team JEDDIE <3

Talia Lovin' the teasers <3

Angeline this is my FAVOURITE Richelle Mead book by far. im so looking forward to the Jill/eddie/angeline/trey love square

Bianca Cool review! Team Angeline

Angeline Elena wrote: "OMG! i just saw the cover for the next book! i think the mystery guy is MARCUS."
isnt he blonde?

Serena he's supposed to be. he also doesnt have a tatoo so maybe its Trey

Rimsa Ivashkov Richelle said its the early version, so the final cover will have the tatoos. I still reckon its Marcus

Rimsa Ivashkov Anyway, new quote from The indigo Spell:"Adrian's face was the picture of perfect politeness and restraint, meaning something disastrous was probably about to happen"

Keira cool! where'd u find it?

Rimsa Ivashkov Richelle posted it on her twitter page

◆¸.•Fashion  nerd◆¸.• cant wait for da next book.