Marialyce's Reviews > The End We Start From

The End We Start From by Megan  Hunter

liked it
bookshelves: net-galley

This was a short novel, a cautionary tale on the condition of earth should the water rise and take over the land. Not only would we lose the land, we would also lose ourselves to drift in a world where we moved from place to place looking for a place where we can be dry.

Into the environment comes a family, a new mother and her husband. The novella is not really so much directed towards disaster as it is a treatise on being a parent. The husband is missing in this story, where all people go by an initial and have no name. The mother needs to keep going, and as she does she bears witness to the cycle of her baby's life. She calls him Z and her life and his go through various places and stages as time and life cycles do. She loves him, he depends on her. She feeds his body, he feeds her soul. She provides him warmth and he provides her solace.

This was a strange tale, one that said more to motherhood than to any disaster facing this planet. Set in England, an island nation, it pointed to the fact that no matter how much things change, a mother will always take care of her child and see to his/her survival the best and only way she knows how.

Read through the courtesy of NetGalley and Grove Atlantic, Grove Press

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The End We Start From.

June 12, 2017 – Started Reading
June 12, 2017 – Shelved
June 13, 2017 –
June 13, 2017 – Shelved as: net-galley
June 13, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Mackey (new)

Mackey Interesting. It almost sounds like a milder, water bound version of Cormac McCarthy's "The Road."

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Great review Marialyce!

Marialyce Mary wrote: "Great review Marialyce!"

Thank you, Mary!

Carol Well said Marialyce! Unusual one!

Marialyce Thank you Carol!