Philippe Lazaro's Reviews > The Next Worship: Glorifying God in a Diverse World

The Next Worship by Sandra Maria Van Opstal

bookshelves: christian

“Worship should be expressive and formative. The aim of corporate worship is not individual expression but communal formation of faith. We should practice authenticity and desire transformative worship experiences. Worship should stretch us to rehearse truths while our feelings catch up with us.”

–Sandra Maria Van Opstal

Book No. 24 of 2017

I picked up this book at The Justice Conference after hearing Van Opstal speak- actually she was probably my favorite speaker. While this book primarily focuses on corporate musical worship, something that I don’t interact with a whole lot beyond as a participant, I still found this book to be extremely helpful.

Van Opstal really does a good job refuting ethnocentrism- no matter what your background or worship style, it’s an ethnic style. There is no “normal” and we need to always check our assumptions about how everyone is “different” in relation to us. PB&J is ethnic food, after all.

For anyone involved in church worship or leadership, I would heavily recommend this as a resource full of ideas on how to help a church grow in the area of diversity. It’s not just a good thing to have, it’s impossible to be a church that reflects a God of all cultures without it.

⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Next Worship.

June 11, 2017 – Started Reading