Katie Fitzgerald's Reviews > Fake Me a Match

2281988
Aug 27, 2011

bookshelves: level-middle-grade, genre-realistic-fiction, format-ebooks
Read from September 22 to 24, 2011

Avery really wants her new stepsister Blake to like her. Not only is she an only child, she also just recently lost her best friend, Sophie, who decided earlier in the school year that she was too cool to hang out with Avery anymore. Avery thinks a stepsister would make a perfect best friend, and she does her best to impress Blake at every opportunity. Unfortunately, things don't go exactly as Avery planned, and before long, Blake is hanging out with Sophie instead of her!

But Avery is determined not to lose anything else to Sophie, so when she is put in charge of the class charity project - a matchingmaking service - she vows to win Blake over again by matching her up with her crush Sam. Again, though, Avery's best laid plans go somewhat awry. Not only do the matches get mixed up, but the teacher in charge of the project can tell they've been tampered with. On top of that, Avery starts to have feelings for Sam, too - feelings which he just might reciprocate.

I have sort of an interesting relationship with Lauren Barnholdt's books. I have tried a couple of times to get into her YA books, and I've never been able to click with them, but I love the way she writes middle grade. Previously, I read The Secret Identity of Devon Delaney, about a girl who lies in an attempt to reinvent herself, and then must find her way back to the truth. I noted some similar themes in this book, and recognized the same contemporary, lively, and original writing style. I felt connected to Avery from the very first page of the book, and her emotions became the driving force behind the plot. I felt myself getting butterflies during her first kiss, and worrying for her when she was on the verge of getting in trouble.

From what I've read, Barnholdt's YA books tend to include more mature themes that appeal mainly to high school kids. This book, by contrast, is very tame. Avery is new to the dating scene, and her interactions with Sam are very sweet and innocent. I think girls in late elementary and middle school would recognize themselves in Avery's character and in the things that happen in her day to day life, and would sympathize wholeheartedly with her desire for friendship and the frustration of sharing a crush with a close friend.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fake Me a Match.

09/22/2011 page 113