Dan Schwent's Reviews > Fungoid

Fungoid by William Meikle

bookshelves: 2017, 2017-books

When a horrible rain falls, ravenous fungus infects anyone it touches. Can Shaun make his way across Canada to reunite with his family before the fungus consumes the world?

Fungus and its life cycle have held a fascination for me since my first morel hunt and fungal fiction like City of Saints and Madmen holds a place in my heart. Fungoid now joins them in my chest cavity.

It started simply enough with rain, rain that burned and unleashed some kind of super fungus that consumed everything organic. The end of the world has arrived and it is by fungus. Imagine not being able to let a drop of rainwater touch you or you'll die horribly. That's the gist of things, at first, anyway.

Meikle uses several viewpoint characters to show how the fungoid chaos has spread across Canada. There are a couple hazmat guys, a mycologist, a woman taking care of her sons and the man on his way home to them. Some characters live and some die.

It's not until the fungus starts fruiting that the crazy shit really starts, when the fungus starts using its adaptations to kill even more people. I'll keep things vague but things went from bad to worse very quickly.

Fungoid is a survival horror tale somewhat reminiscent of John Wyndham's "cozy catastrophres," although there's nothing cozy about it. It's Fungin' great! Four out of five stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fungoid.

June 11, 2017 – Started Reading
June 11, 2017 – Shelved
June 11, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
June 15, 2017 –
92.0% "NoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
June 16, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017
June 16, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-books
June 16, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Murf the Surf (new)

Murf the Surf Your review reminded me a bit of The Girl With All The Gifts....although, the fungus mutated one into a zombie you see. Excellent review; quite enjoyable. Murf

message 2: by Wastrel (new)

Wastrel Wait, global catastrophe caused by a burning rain of space fungus that consumes all organic matter that it touches? So... it's Pern fanfiction, then?

Oh, right, it's not space fungus...

message 3: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Murf the Surf wrote: "Your review reminded me a bit of The Girl With All The Gifts....although, the fungus mutated one into a zombie you see. Excellent review; quite enjoyable. Murf"

Thanks!

message 4: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Wastrel wrote: "Wait, global catastrophe caused by a burning rain of space fungus that consumes all organic matter that it touches? So... it's Pern fanfiction, then?

Oh, right, it's not space fungus..."

The Pern books have space fungus in them?

message 5: by Wastrel (new)

Wastrel Dan wrote: "Wastrel wrote: "Wait, global catastrophe caused by a burning rain of space fungus that consumes all organic matter that it touches? So... it's Pern fanfiction, then?

Oh, right, it's not space fung..."

The Pern books are all about space fungus! (well, and dragons and time travel and culture clash and pervasive rape fantasies and other things, but the space fungus is the central gimmick that explains everything else).

The only one I've re-read lately, Dragonsdawn has scenes of humanity's first encounter with space fungus, and they're actually quite viscerally unsettling, to the extent of making me jump up and drop the book at one point. It's never a good sign when the word "dissolve" is used in relation to people...

Sadly it's not really worth reading the book, or the series, just for Thread. The one I re-read mostly made me think what a fantastic book it could have been had it been written by a much better writer. But it's a great concept for a 'villain', and it would be a shame if it remained trapped in the ghetto of Pern novels. [though if Thread really were written by a better writer, I'm not sure I'd still be able to cope with reading about it...]

message 6: by Aimee (new)

Aimee This review was brought to you by the letters P and U and by the number 0. Also by Mcatin.
Oh, and the mushroom was wondering why nobody wanted to sit with him at lunch. He complained to his therapist "Why doesn't anybody seem to like me? I'm a fun-guy!"

message 7: by Ɗẳɳ 2.☊ (new)

Ɗẳɳ  2.☊ Murf the Surf wrote: "Your review reminded me a bit of The Girl With All The Gifts..."

I was thinking the exact same thing.