Angel Gelique's Reviews > Virginia

Virginia by William Esmont

4.5 stars, rounded up.

The premise of this book is not a novel one. How far would you go to save the life of a loved one? William Esmont masterfully depicts one man's desperate plight to save his dying spouse.

Ray Shelby knows that his wife is standing at the threshold of death's door but can't bring himself to accept her untimely demise. When a fateful encounter with a stranger at the hospital offers hope, he figures he has nothing to lose by trying out the unconventional treatment.

Or does he?

Short stories and novellas can be tricky sometimes but the author writes so brilliantly I felt as though I had read a full-length novel. The pacing was perfect and the character development flawless. I immediately sympathized with Ray and his agonizing dilemma. I was thoroughly immersed in the story from beginning to end.

I just had a couple minor issues. First, regarding Ray's "payment" options. I wondered why he hadn't followed the path of the man who had introduced him to those responsible for the treatment (although doing so would seemingly violate contractual obligations so I'm not sure how that worked for the other person, honestly). Second, I would have liked to know more about those responsible for the treatment. Who were they, exactly? How did they accomplish such miraculous feats? I wouldn't mind a follow-up story....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Virginia.

June 10, 2017 – Started Reading