ijeoma Agbaje's Reviews > Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret Weis
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
16037420
's review

it was ok


1.5 stars
I honestly believe that if i had read this book when i was way younger, i would have absolutely loved it. Now though, it's kinda hard to overlook the toxic fragile masculinity, the idiocy, pointless pride and female idiot quota that makes up the companions who are to save the world. Quite frankly the only person who had a lick of sense in this book was Raistlin.

Riverwind aka Masculinity so fragile: How on earth did such a toxic character get written? This guy was supposed to be Goldmoon's le boo but apparently he couldn't handle her being his leader. How the heck do you fall in love with someone you clearly know will lead your people, essentially be your boss and start forming omg i fell in love with Goldmoon and not the chieftan's daughter? is this not madness???

...still you are now their ruler- bitterness had crept into his voice - and i will be husband of Chieftain

Goldmoon does the classic spineless female and tries to comfort him dude goes
"I was thinking about it last night. I've been gone so many years. My thoughts were of you as a woman. I did not realize- he swalloed and then drew a deep breath. I left Goldmoon. I returned to find Chieftain's Daughter"

Goldmoon tries to reason with him, telling him she had no choice as her father had fallen ill and couldn't lead and if she hadn't stepped up to the plate so to speak someone else would have taken over.
Know what masculinity so fragile did after this impassioned plea?
"Riverwind listened his face stern and unmoving. He stared at a point above her head. We should get started he said coldly. It's nearly dawn".

Dude kept disrespecting her at every turn until she finally asks for forgiveness for being Chieftain's daughter.
"Oh my beloved. I am sorrier than i can say that you came home to chieftain's daughter and not Goldmoon"

TF?????!!!!!!!
He also apologises but excuses his behaviour on the fact that she didn't tell him all that she had been through.. I'm just here like TF??
At which point she agrees to rescind her title as Chieftain's daughter when their journey comes to an end. Of course he doesn't argue.
At every point when Goldmoon had an opinion that didn't go with his, this.. this... little turd would shoot her down in the rudest way. like WTF???!!!
I really do not understand how this utterly, despicable chauvanist got hailed as one of the heroes.

Tanis: This was supposedly the leader of the group. I guess they chose him because he was a sturdy fellow but hot damn if there ever was a bland character this would be it. He was just bleh. Take a fucking decision be bloody decisive for crying out loud but nope. Dude couldn't even make up his mind about his love life Ugh!!! I don't know about you guys but when shit happens and the author keeps telling you, your heroes is scared and hands are shaking and they're ready to piss their pants (okay probably overboard there) but yeah, you start looking at them like okayyyyyyyyyyyyyy, can i get another hero please?

Sturm: Another despicable human being who couldn't think for himself. Absolutely did not like this character simply because he was close minded little shit!! I absolutely could not understand why he hated Raistlin (maybe there's history there) and why at every turn he kept shouting that Raistlin had betrayed them.. Dude was dim honestly. Let's not forget the other times he would have gladly put the others in death's way just because his bloody knight oath or some shit like that said don't retreat.. Dude if you want to commit suicide, please go ahead, but don't drag the others into it.

Tasslehoff Burrfoot: Fucking idiot character.

Flint: Now that i think about it. Flint was just there can't say his character got fleshed out so much. Reminded me of the dwarf character in Lord of the Rings though. So maybe you can substitute the two. Apparently dwarves have the same personality across books.

Goldmoon, Laurana and Tika: These were basically the 3 main female characters in the novel, with Laurana and Tika joining the group much later in the adventure. Goldmoon we already know, Tika is presented as a strong opinionated female character so i guess there's hope for her. Laurana is presented as the female who wants to prove to the guy she loves that she's all grown up and can fight. Miss me with that bull shit. but there you have it, the glorious female characters of Dragons of Autumn twilight.

All in all it wasn't a very enjoyable book. I did not like the female characters were presented and there were instances were the continuation of scenes were off. That aside if you can stand the narration coming off like you're watching a kid's programme, chauvinistic characters, dim witted knights, bleh leaders you may enjoy the book.

10 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragons of Autumn Twilight.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

June 11, 2017 – Started Reading
June 11, 2017 – Shelved
June 11, 2017 –
1.0% "Heard good things about this book 😊"
June 11, 2017 –
1.0% "Something wicked comes this way"
June 11, 2017 –
1.0% "Something wicked comes this way"
June 12, 2017 –
9.0% "should have left this blundering oaf to die..."
June 14, 2017 –
18.0% "not particularly enjoying this book..
to finish or just chuck it.. decisions, decisions..."
June 14, 2017 –
18.0% ""ShE kNeW wHaT sHE wAs DoInG nOw WaS dAnGeRoUs"

description

so stupid!!"
June 14, 2017 –
19.0% "oh hey here's some weird looking people. sure let's jump out of our hididng place and help them..Don't worry i know what i'm doing, led my people in war and ruled my village and what not..

Bloody idiot woman!!"
June 15, 2017 –
20.0% "all these restore honour and crap thing.. why do these people have to be so good?"
June 15, 2017 –
23.0% "i don't like this Sturm guy though..These are your bloody friends.. How dare you!! Like Raistlin hasn't saved your punk ass knight ass before."
June 15, 2017 –
25.0% "it's like the scenes are skipping..."
June 15, 2017 –
26.0% "Wait wait wait first.. By all accounts, these people live in a strange world.. The companions don't blink when they see goblins but somehow a centaur is weird?? Ghosts are weird??? lizard men are weird???

description
TF!!!"
June 15, 2017 –
26.0% "also what the hell is wrong with this Tasslehoff person?? This always acting like you're in disney land when shit is flying is becoming idiotic. you can clearly see shit is going down, are Kender's dim?"
June 15, 2017 –
30.0% "deliver me from emotional characters.."
June 15, 2017 –
31.0%
June 15, 2017 –
32.0% "Riverwind has zero respect for Goldmoon in my opinion.
Pouty little shit!!! Please carry this your love and go."
June 15, 2017 –
32.0% "description

LOOOORRRRRRDDDDDD... This disrespect this this this oh Lawd!!!!! what kind of dirty disrespect is this in the name of Love?.. Does Goldmoon break up with this "my ego so fragile i can't handle my girl being a leader" piece of crap?"
June 16, 2017 –
41.0% "Sometimes this book is eerily like Tolkein's..
The kingdom under the mountain??? really"
June 16, 2017 –
41.0% "wait the plan is to find the dragon lair and escape.. Like they legit sat down and said our plan is to find the dragon lair and escape????
lol this book is trips.."
June 16, 2017 –
42.0% "ummmmm when did they have time to pick up all these weapons from the draconian army???"
June 17, 2017 –
45.0%
June 17, 2017 –
48.0% "i dunno... i dunno
the amount of disrespect Goldmoon gets from Riverwind is doing my head in.."
June 17, 2017 –
50.0% "allow him to go and fight the dragon now.. NONSENSE!!"
June 17, 2017 –
52.0% "Apparently Tanis is supposed to be the smartest. Miss me with that B.S"
June 17, 2017 –
52.0% "Ayeeeeeeeeee!!! Is she saying she's going to renounce her title because of love???
My chest!!! What is this nonsense?"
June 17, 2017 –
54.0% "Can't wait to review this book!!!
Sturm is shit by the way."
June 17, 2017 –
63.0%
June 17, 2017 –
70.0%
June 17, 2017 –
73.0% "Wow!! Apparently a book can have women in it just to fill in some sort of idiot quota..."
June 17, 2017 –
73.0% "This has got to be the dumbest shit I've read in this book so far... Talk about living under a rock."
June 18, 2017 –
88.0% "Oooooooooo excited!!! Who could the traitor be??"
June 18, 2017 –
93.0% "when you say "Traitor revealed" arent you supposed to tell us who the traitor is?? ugh!!!!"
June 18, 2017 –
96.0% "bloody idiot warriors"
June 18, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

dateDown arrow    newest »

edge of bubble amazing review! 😂😂😂😂😂 sorry for putting you through this book. I don't even remember who is goldmoon? but I love how you ripped them a new one! and saw that you had good things to say about only, my love raistlin <3

there was a kitiara or something lik that?


ijeoma Agbaje edge of bubble wrote: "amazing review! 😂😂😂😂😂 sorry for putting you through this book. I don't even remember who is goldmoon? but I love how you ripped them a new one! and saw that you had good things to say about only, m..."
thanks edge.. yeah that Kitiara chick is mentioned but she doesn't show in this book..


edge of bubble ahhh. I've forgotten most of the book then. because the characters you mention at the start doesn't ring any bell. but i remember kitiara and her love interest. I take it, you won't continue with this series?


ijeoma Agbaje edge of bubble wrote: "ahhh. I've forgotten most of the book then. because the characters you mention at the start doesn't ring any bell. but i remember kitiara and her love interest. I take it, you won't continue with t..."
i probably will...curse my curiosity lol


Michael One of my earliest Fantasy novels I read as a kid. 10 year old me loved it. Not sure 37 year old me would though. Good memories though.


ijeoma Agbaje Yeah it's amazing how many plot holes you see in books you read again when you're older.


edge of bubble it'll be fun for me though*shines her halo*


ijeoma Agbaje edge of bubble wrote: "it'll be fun for me though*shines her halo*"

lmaooooo i'm pretty sure if you read it again you'll enter into the book and off all the men there.. especially that Riverwind..


edge of bubble that's why I kept postponing my reread. I don't wanna fuck up a perfect memory, especially the twins' trilogy.


Garrett I love this book. But then again, my wife says that I could never be a critic because I love everything. I've read it multiple times over the years and I've never tired of it.


ijeoma Agbaje Garrett wrote: "I love this book. But then again, my wife says that I could never be a critic because I love everything. I've read it multiple times over the years and I've never tired of it."
lol you're that much of a softie? i really just wanted to bitch slap almost all the characters to oblivion especially that ass Riverwind.


Garrett I will say that Riverwind is probably my least favorite of the core group. I pretty much liked everyone else. I found Sturm to be a heartbreaking character and loved that Tanis was torn between his two halves…trying to belong with the humans and the elves at the same time. I've always been torn between who was my favorite, Tanis or Raistlin.

Just to tell you how much I loved the books…I named my son, Tanin. I've had the name picked out since I read the book when I was 14.


ijeoma Agbaje Garrett wrote: "Just to tell you how much I loved the books…I named my son, Tanin. I've had the name picked out since I read the book when I was 14.
."


really?? hahaa omigosh you really are a fan..
I actually sort of liked Tanin but him not being able to make up his mind about stuff was annoying as heck.
Sturm was shit.. my mind is made up about that "big omg i'm a knight i'm going to drag everyone to their deaths becus i don't feel like retreating and hate on Raistlin's ass for no discernable reason oaf"


message 14: by Bug (new) - added it

Bug Man I hate Tanis. He’s a Gary Stue broody angsty leader type you find in fanfiction. The only difference is he didn’t fall in love with a shy overpowered Mary Sue. I liked Raistlin, though he looks really weird, screw the dumb ass book descriptions I’m imagining him as a normal looking human. The only thing that’s keeping me going through this book is Raistlin.


~Cyanide Latte~ Thank you for writing this review, because you definitely hit on a lot of the things that bother me about this story as an adult. As a teenager first getting into various D&D-inspired worlds, I loved this book and the installments that came afterward. As I've gotten older, this book is a hot mess (and if I recall correctly, I think this first trilogy was actually a transcript of a Dungeons-and-Dragons campaign in the Dragonlance setting that Weis and Hickman thought would make a good story?)
Also yes, Raistlin is pretty much the only character anyone really needs to care about or pay attention to, because he's definitely the only one with any real sense (and in my opinion, the only one that's ever been interesting, even when I used to enjoy this book.)


back to top