Siv's Reviews > Beartown

Beartown by Fredrik Backman

it was ok

Backman's fans will come to Beartown expecting Ove and Britt-Marie, but they will not be found here. Beartown itself will remind readers of Borg, the town in which Britt-Marie discovered a love for soccer through her unexpected affection for those who played it, but in Beartown Backman has diverged from his old, odd characters to focus on a youth hockey team coming of age under pressure of a town that has all its hopes pinned to them.

Despite Backman's clever writing and insight into human nature at its worst (and occasionally, best) I almost put this one down. Be warned: for those sensitive to the politics that rage around the issue of rape, this is not the book for you. The story is nuanced but for me the end didn't justify the means.

"Hate can be a deeply stimulating emotion. The world becomes much easier to understand and much less terrifying if you divide everything and everyone into friends and enemies, we and they, good and evil. The easiest way to unite a group isn't through love, because love is hard. It makes demands. Hate is simple.
"So the first thing that happens in a conflict is that we choose a side, because that's easier than trying to hold two thoughts in our heads at the same time. The second thing that happens is that we seek out facts that confirm what we want to believe--comforting facts, ones that permit life to go on as normal. The third is that we dehumanize our enemy. There are many ways of doing that, but none is easier than taking her name away from her" (273).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beartown.

Started Reading
June 11, 2017 – Shelved
June 11, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Mindy Sauve I'm sad that you found this disappointing - I have been looking forward to reading it. 😩

message 2: by Siv (new) - rated it 2 stars

Siv Not completely disappointing - I did finish it. But rape is hard to read about, and not at all what I was expecting.