Quinn's Reviews > Show No Mercy

Show No Mercy by Cindy Gerard

Aug 27, 2011

bookshelves: romantic-suspense, library-book, series
Read from October 11 to 12, 2011

I loved this first instalment in Cindy Gerard's Black Ops series! A word of warning though, it's connected to her Bodyguard series, and you really should at least read Into the Dark first to get the backstory for this one.

Since reading the last of Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooters series, I have been despairing of finding anything to compare. I'd often heard Cindy Gerard's name mentioned in conjunction with Brockmann as a favourite romantic suspense author, and while I enjoyed the Bodyguard series, it didn't quite appeal to me as much as the Troubleshooters.

Show No Mercy, though, is exactly what I was hoping for when I picked up my first Gerard book. I devoured this one and enjoyed every aspect. A perfect balance of romance and suspense, a tortured hero, a crew of appealing and tough warriors, a heroine that didn't grate, pages that turned themselves; tears, laughter and a toy dog named Nugget. What more could you ask for? A decent and lengthy epilogue with the chance to see the hero and heroine enjoying their lives? You got it!

I can't wait for the next one. And someone please tell me that Nate gets his own book?

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Show No Mercy.

message 1: by Crista (new) - added it

Crista Thanks for this great review and for the tip about Into the Dark! I've got this one in my TBR pile!

Quinn Thanks, Crista! I hope you enjoy this one, and Into the Dark if you decide to read it first. Although there will be some aspects of Into the Dark that you might be lost with (you first meet the main characters of that one in To the Brink), I really think you need to read it for this one.

message 3: by Crista (new) - added it

Crista Do you think I should read all of the Bodyguard series before the Black Ops series, or would reading To the Brink and Into the Dark be sufficient to get the back story.....

message 4: by Quinn (last edited Oct 15, 2011 03:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Quinn Hi Crista, I think you could probably get away with just reading To the Brink and Into the Dark if you weren't wanting to read the whole series. You obviously wont have the backstory with all of the characters (mostly the Garrett family), but I don't think you would be lost. It's really only Amy and Dallas who have the ongoing story arc across books, and that's the two books I mentioned. Their story starts in To the Brink and is continued in Into the Dark, which is where the characters in Show No Mercy's story starts. Hope that makes sense.

Buggy I loved this book too. Ah Gabe you broke my heart in those final chapters, sigh. The whole series is awesome though.

I actually read this series before the Bodyguards which I just started.

message 6: by Crista (new) - added it

Crista Thanks so much Quinn! That makes sense.

Do you recommend the Bodyguard series as a whole? Would you recommend the entire series?

Thanks in advance.....

Quinn Crista wrote: "Thanks so much Quinn! That makes sense.

Thanks in advance....."

Hi Crista, I'm not sure how big a fan you are of romantic suspense. FWIW, I gave the first book 3 stars (it didn't quite reach my expectations), and the rest got pretty solid 4-stars. I had a few issues here and there (which I mentioned in my reviews), but there were also some really great moments. I don't think you'll regret reading them if you like RS. Both the suspense/adventure and romance were pretty solid in each book.

message 8: by Crista (new) - added it

Crista Thanks Quinn:)

Now I just have more books to add to my large, overwhelming, never ending to be read pile!

I trust you completely and I appreciate your input!