Jill's Reviews > A Night to Surrender

3820197
Aug 27, 2011

bookshelves: historical-romance-european, 2011-4-5-5-stars
Read in August, 2011

All he's ever been and all he's ever wanted to be is a soldier. At twenty-nine Lieutenant Colonel Victor Bramwell of the British army is too young to retire. A lead ball damaged his knee eight months ago, and Bram now faces the prospect of having to resign his commission. Visiting Sir Lewis Finch at Spindle Cove is Bram's last hope that he might regain his field command. When Sir Lewis acknowledges that Bram's knee is not up to coping with the demands of being an infantry officer, he offers Bram an earldom courtesy of the Prince Regent. With his title of Lord Rycliff, Bram is given Rycliff Castle, and as the new lord, Bram is given the task of raising a militia to defend his part of the coast.

Susanna Finch, twenty-five years-old, is the resident spinster-in-charge at Spindle Cove. Having experienced firsthand the healing qualities of the seaside, fresh air, good food and exercise Susanna began inviting young ladies - the sickly, the scandalous, the shy, the well-bred misfits of British society - to holiday and recuperate at Spindle Cove, a place where they can just be themselves.

This is just so good. The dialogue is witty and clever. The tension between Bram and Susanna is fun.

"Lord Rycliff, may I have a word?"

"Only one Miss Finch?" The faint answer came from the direction of the keep. "I couldn't be that lucky."

A Night to Surrender is romantic, funny, charming and sexy. I don't think this novel needs a deep analysis. It should be taken at face value for what it is - light, fun, excellent.

There's a preview at the end of A Night to Surrender of the next in the series A Week to Be Wicked where Bram's good-for-nothing cousin Colin meets his match. If you've never read Tessa Dare this is the perfect novel to begin. A contender for my favourite historical romance of the year.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Night to Surrender.

Nikki Great review, Jill; sounds like a winner.

Jill Thanks Nikki. This is just so funny, so well-written. I had so many highlighted quotes, I eventually gave up. Well worth reading.

message 3: by Shelly (new) - added it

Shelly I love witty dialogue, it's hard to find sometimes too! Great review Jill!

Jill Thanks Shell! I adore witty, clever banter in romances, regardless of the sub-genre. This is so well-done.

message 5: by Jewel (new) - added it

Jewel Great review Jill!
I just got one of her books "Goddess of the Hunt" had I seen your review before I might have chosen this one!
There is always next time :)

Jill Thanks Jewel. I loved Goddess of the Hunt, which I think was her first novel. A good choice.

Save this one up for when you've got your feet up relaxing with the new baby!

message 7: by Jewel (new) - added it

Jewel Lol!! Good luck for me on that!!!
I used to do most of my reading when the boys were at school and I was alone, not sure how my new schedule will be !!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) Man, I wish I had bought this when I was at the store the other day. This sounds good.

Thanks for the review, Jill.

Jill Thankyou Danielle. Have you read any/many Tessa Dare? I think this is one of her best. It's not a serious, deep historical romance (though it does have its moments). It's just brilliantly written, light, funny.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I haven't read any of hers, but I think I have all of them, except this one.

Lisa Kay Woooo... 4.5 Yippee! Great review, Jill!

message 12: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill LOL! Thanks Lisa Kay!

message 13: by Elis (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elis Madison OK, now I have to read it just because you and Karla have such different opinions.

message 14: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Elis wrote: "OK, now I have to read it just because you and Karla have such different opinions."

Lol! Karla doesn't like these newer HRs. And I don't like the older HRs (aka bodice-rippers). I guess it's all about personal taste and what you're looking for in a HR. I love Tessa Dare's sense of humour! And Karla thinks this is completely unfunny.

So Elis you're just going to have to read it yourself and make up your own mind. Love to see what you think though.

message 15: by Kathleen (new) - added it

Kathleen This is a series I have been planning to read. I like Tessa Dare, and the setting of these books sounds interesting!

message 16: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Kathleen wrote: "This is a series I have been planning to read. I like Tessa Dare, and the setting of these books sounds interesting!"

I really like TD as well, Kathleen. She writes with a lot of humour and a bit lighter, but I like diversity in the tones of my novels.

message 17: by Kathleen (new) - added it

Kathleen Thank goodness, there's all kinds of romantic voices out there!

message 18: by Louise (new) - added it

Louise Great review Jill, I haven't read this first one 'cause I went on reading 'a week to be wicked' first...Colin is a crack I can't stop laughing :D

message 19: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Louise wrote: "Great review Jill, I haven't read this first one 'cause I went on reading 'a week to be wicked' first...Colin is a crack I can't stop laughing :D"

Thanks Louise! I've read all three in the series (4 if you count the novella) and my fav is AWtbW. Colin is such a great hero! So good choice!

message 20: by Louise (new) - added it

Louise Jill wrote: "Louise wrote: "Great review Jill, I haven't read this first one 'cause I went on reading 'a week to be wicked' first...Colin is a crack I can't stop laughing :D"

Thanks Louise! I've read all three..."

this is the only one left on the series I haven't read though:)

message 21: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Louise wrote: "Jill wrote: "Louise wrote: "Great review Jill, I haven't read this first one 'cause I went on reading 'a week to be wicked' first...Colin is a crack I can't stop laughing :D"

Thanks Louise! I've r..."

You'll love it!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Great review! I JUST finished the book and soooooo enjoyed it!

message 23: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill UniquelyMoi *Dhestiny* BlithelyBookish wrote: "Great review! I JUST finished the book and soooooo enjoyed it!"

Thanks Dhes! this is such a fun series! :)

message 24: by Ash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash UniquelyMoi *Dhestiny* BlithelyBookish wrote: "Great review! I JUST finished the book and soooooo enjoyed it!"
Hi
If you liked this one perhaps you should try the second book in the series "A Week To Be Wicked"
that one is really fun too.

message 25: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill I agree, Ash!...AWtbW is my fav of this series.

message 26: by Ash (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ash Mine too! Not only is it funny and charming but it appeals to my weakness for charming rakish heroes and bookish heroines.
and Collin's speech towards the end!! *big dramatic sigh* :P

message 27: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Ash wrote: "Mine too! Not only is it funny and charming but it appeals to my weakness for charming rakish heroes and bookish heroines.
and Collin's speech towards the end!! *big dramatic sigh* :P"

IKR?!...wish I had time for a re-read right now!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I'm on to book 2 now! Wooooot!

message 29: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill UniquelyMoi *Dhestiny* BlithelyBookish wrote: "I'm on to book 2 now! Wooooot!"

You'll love it, Dhes...Colin and Minerva are so perfect! :)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish I love these ladies so much! And the men, of course...but I'm grinning just thinking about everyone's stories! I checked each book to see was being paired up. Such fun!!

message 31: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill UniquelyMoi *Dhestiny* BlithelyBookish wrote: "I love these ladies so much! And the men, of course...but I'm grinning just thinking about everyone's stories! I checked each book to see was being paired up. Such fun!!"

This is one of the funniest, most consistently good HR series I've read.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Jill wrote: "This is one of the funniest, most consistently good HR series I've read. "

That's what I've heard! I'm reading Beauty and the Blacksmith for review and decided to start at the beginning...I'm OCD that way...and soooooo glad I did!

message 33: by Didi (new)

Didi Great review Jill! I've added this :-))

message 34: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Didi wrote: "Great review Jill! I've added this :-))"

Thanks Didi! This whole series is soooo good. My fav is book #2 A Week to Be Wicked. Very funny! :)

message 35: by Didi (new)

Didi If you loved it then I'm sure I will! Thanks Jill :-))

Angel Great review - as usual ;)
I had read the second book 'A Week to be Wicked', without realising it was part of a series. It was nice to read about minerva and colin's fights especially as I already knew how hard those two would fall for each other

message 37: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Angel wrote: "Great review - as usual ;)

@ Angel
Thankyou! I love Colin and Minerva! If you've not read the rest of the series, Angel the other books are def worth reading. Esp Any Duchess Will Do. :)

message 38: by Fayley (new) - added it

Fayley Haha! How many shelves do you have?

message 39: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Fayley wrote: "Haha! How many shelves do you have?"

You mean for books, Fayley? Not enough....:)

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Yes! It is wonderful so far. Nice review!

message 41: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "Yes! It is wonderful so far. Nice review!"

Hope you enjoy this book, Heather it's a great series. :)
Ha! Just noticed I wrote this review nearly three years ago!

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Jill wrote: "Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "Yes! It is wonderful so far. Nice review!"

Hope you enjoy this book, Heather it's a great series. :)
Ha! Just noticed I wrote this review nearly three ..."

Woah! A long time ago!

message 43: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "Jill wrote: "Heather K (dentist in my spare time) wrote: "Yes! It is wonderful so far. Nice review!"

Hope you enjoy this book, Heather it's a great series. :)
Ha! Just noticed I wrote this review ..."

Indeed.

message 44: by Chumchum_88 (last edited Aug 17, 2014 06:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chumchum_88 This series is diffidently a keeper ^^

message 45: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Chumchum_88 wrote: "This series is diffidently a keeper ^^"

Agree, CC! :)

Hackmops Ha, this is quite funny because although I have read a few Tessa Dare historicals by now, this actually was my least favourite. I did like Susanna giving Colin permission etc and making a full decision over her body and fate but overall it did not quite grip me as much as One Dance with a Duke (squeeeee) or Castles Ever After, which was just too cute.

Hackmops Ahhh not Colin, I meant Bram!

message 48: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Hackmops wrote: "Ha, this is quite funny because although I have read a few Tessa Dare historicals by now, this actually was my least favourite. I did like Susanna giving Colin permission etc and making a full deci..."

I can understand....my fav of TD is A Week to Be Wicked...not sure that will ever be surpassed. :)

Hackmops I actually was far more interested in AWTBW based on the preview! Haven't picked it up so far because I wasn't too impressed with book 1 though but I will keep it in mind.

message 50: by mich (new) - rated it 3 stars

mich I loved the running joke throughout the book with the lamb - so funny :D

« previous 1