Emily (Books with Emily Fox)'s Reviews > The Woman in the Window

The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn

liked it

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion but I'm getting a bit tired of reading mysteries where the main female character is an alcoholic. I get it, it makes them unreliable (and relatable for some maybe?) but it's a cheap way of doing it.

With that said, I'm usually not too difficult with mysteries. They just have to not do anything stupid (racism, sexism...), be entertaining and have twists I don't see coming.

In this book, you're following a psychologist who went through something traumatic that left her agoraphobe and... an alcoholic. Sadly I saw the twists coming and some parts towards the end just didn't feel right.

However, I definitely felt like staying home and drinking... and I don't drink so I guess something in there worked... maybe?
If you're looking for what others have described as a "popcorn read" then this might be it for you!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman in the Window.

June 10, 2017 – Shelved
March 20, 2018 – Started Reading
March 21, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)

Alexandra didn't like this one either:/

Dani (Dani's Bookshelf) I DNFed it. It took too long for the mystery/thriller part to kick in, and by the time it did, I just didn't care anymore and didn't want to commit to several hundred more pages.

Mel (thebookishmel) I agree with making the female protagonist an alcoholic being a cheap shot, especially after reading The Girl on the Train. I'm over it lol

Dominique I'm really over books like these as well. It's a pity I find about this now that this book is already waiting to be read in my bookcase. Since we fell by Dennis Lehane starts out that way but twists and turns imo perfectly.

LittleRedRidingHood The unreliable narrators are trending. Alcoholics, lost memories, traumas. Add missing children, suspicious husbands and comas, and you have discribed every thriller coming out last few years.

message 6: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel Aranda You aren’t the only one tired of alcoholic female narrators. Honestly I am avoiding newer thrillers that have this kind of MC because they always follow the same theme and ending to a point. So incredibly over it!

Serena Darking I agree that a women protagonist with alcoholic problems os something that is fairly common in a lot of new thrillers but I have to admit it's kind of a guilty pleasure of mine 😂

Christie I also hate how much alcohol there is in thrillers. Even if the protagonist isn't an alcoholic, they always drink so much wine! It's such a weird trope in the genre. I didn't like it in Girl on the Train and I'm still not into it.

message 9: by Danielle (new)

Danielle Messier I liked the unreliable alcoholic narrator from A girl on the Train but that's the only time I really enjoyed the use of it

message 10: by Maxine (new)

Maxine Livingstone I didn't read your comment on this book since I have it at home and didn't want to be influenced by what you wrote. However, I know what ever your review is it's honest. I'll get back to reading it hopefully once I have read this book myself.

message 11: by Alan (new)

Alan Braswell It is what is 'hot' at the time is the reason one sees copycat books with the same plot.
There are romantic erotic novels that have taking the plot of , Fifty Shades of Grey, and continue to use the same premise over and over again.
Twilight unleashed a horde of vampire novels.
Some of these copycat novels are worth reading others, the majority, have been written so that the author can make a fast buck for his or her agent so that the agent can get off the authors back.

message 12: by Aza (new) - added it

Aza Agreed on all of the comments here! We already had the discussion on what type of female characters are dominating the screens at the mo during my Screenwriting studies in 2012/2013!! Apparently women have to b still either drunk, on pills or nuts to get the lead role? In films and in books? Lol. Or sadly so. Its too easy. And not truthful. As a woman I feel so stereotyped! I’ll read the book but I had already problems getting through with Girl on the Train because of that! But I’m glad I’m not the only who gets bored with the stereotype female. :)

message 13: by Judith (new)

Judith Barrett Had a difficult time in the first few chapters with the writing. It wasn’t good. I had no idea where the characters were talking to each other. I thought her husband and child were in the room with her. Lazy writing of setting.

Darlene Fleischman I liked this book but didn't love it. Liked that it kept my attention and was fast paced. Too similar to Girl on The Train

message 15: by BookGirlVlP (new)

BookGirlVlP Thank for a great review. From reading the description I kindcof gathered this would have a "Girl on the Train" vibe. I did not much care for that story and very much agree with having the main character being an alcoholic is the easy way out. Even with the higher rating, I believe I will be passing on this one.

Kevin Worley Not an easy way out when more often than not it’s true.

message 17: by Skel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Skel Had the same problem with it, I couldn't take her seriously, but she wouldn't even have a fight what so ever, with the fact that she was drinking so much, not a very realistic alcoholic either.

Carolea My feeling exactly.

Catie Walter I agree with a lot of your points. I actually thought the alcoholism fit well with this character, though. After her traumatic experience and pure boredom, it’s understanding that she would turn to self medication. That being said, I do feel like it is too common if a theme in thriller novels. I’m just so disappointed with the ending! I felt that the pace of the novel was so slow up until the last 50 pages!

Lisa M.S. Totally agree! Gave it three stars for the very same reasons!

message 21: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Girl on the Train and Girl in Cabin 10

message 22: by Rox (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rox Glad to know I'm not the only one. The only reason I decided to finish this book is because I want to know who did it.

message 23: by Kim (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kim Smiley I agree w/ you. I am listening to this on CD for my long work commute. The first 3 CD's, (about 3 hrs.) were so BORING. All this woman did was drink and look out her windows. Every time she decided to have a drink I thought about shutting it down. If it were a book I never would've made it through. I'll be done with it soon, but I wasn't impressed. It was too slow moving to finally get to the point! And waay too much wine.

message 24: by Miss (new) - rated it 3 stars

Miss Agree!! Was very annoyed with this entire book until chapter 73 lol there was a whole lot of intoxicated rambling of nothingness until that point.

Carolyn Y Yes! I just said this too and then found your review. It's a cheap writing device.

message 26: by Tina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tina I agree, I know many are still enjoying this genre, but I am getting tired of them.

Debby This book is good yes! But I don't like Anna. I don't like how she spends all of her time watching her neighbors and taking pictures of them and then gets upset when she sees the woman watching her... then gets freaked out when she gets the email of a pic of herself. (No spoiler alert here... leaving details out) I get that she has problems with alcohol and wine and is dealing with grief and Agorophobia and she's survived a tragedy. I love the book overall but her character is very hard to like. I know it wouldn't be a book otherwise but I kept thinking that she needs to mind her own business and leave her neighbors alone.

Kayoko Sorensen I totally agree with your review. No much surprise for me. The story remind me old movies like "Gaslight" and 'Rear window".

message 29: by Randi (new) - added it

Randi And if they aren't an alcoholic, there is someone in their life trying to make them think they are crazy. And it is always a woman, I have come across one book where it happens to a man.

message 30: by Nita (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nita I loved the book. Maybe I haven’t read enough in this genre to become desensitized. Yes, Anna made me want to slap her most days and yes she was pissy drunk...all the time! BUT, if I lost my baby girl in a tragic car accident or at all, I’d be pissy drunk too. I’d probably want to jump from the top of a building. But that would end the story and what fun would that be.

Albert Elnen Yes she was an alky, but I didn't really concentrate on this part. I have it 4 stars. I rarely give book 5 stars. Even Stephen King who I love.

message 32: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Kotulski Yes! I totally agree.

message 33: by Erin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Erin i agree about the heroine. I'm tired of all these books featuring female heroines as alcoholics! Just like The Girl On The Train, it just annoys me. We can have stable women be interesting characters who question their thoughts without having to add alcohol. I'd like them better if they didn't drink.

Whitney Bailey the wife between us and a girl on a train is the same way

message 35: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Lyons-Wagner Super redudundant!

message 36: by Jane (new) - rated it 1 star

Jane Mcconnell Worst book ever!!! I never want to read the world Merlot in a book ever again!

Adriana González Totally agree with your review! So predictable, and half the book describes pouring and drinking wine...

Erica Bunker If I lost my husband and child the way she did, I'd become an alcoholic, pill popping agoraphobic too. I have sympathy for the character and as someone with depression, I found her completely relatable.

Holden Notice that the women you’re referring to are all struggling with mental illness. Substance abuse is extremely common for people struggling with mental illness. I found Anna Fox very relatable and her anxiety was very well written.

Holden Erin wrote: "i agree about the heroine. I'm tired of all these books featuring female heroines as alcoholics! Just like The Girl On The Train, it just annoys me. We can have stable women be interesting characte..."

Guess what, not everybody is stable in life.

message 41: by Doug (new)

Doug "popcorn read" was all I needed to hear

Cheryl I agree that there was too much wine and pill popping. There does seem to be a similarity in these female lead psychological thrillers.

Carol YES, she was really irritating and I found myself commenting out loud to her throughout ! Glad I hung in there though as it was a good book.