Stefanie's Reviews > The Sun Is Also a Star

The Sun Is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon

bookshelves: coming-of-age, fiction, love, young-adult, books-i-taught, classroom-library, book-of-the-month
Read 3 times. Last read September 3, 2019 to October 9, 2019.

May 24, 2019 Review:
I don't have much to add to my initial review. Upon re-reading, it's just as wonderful and moving as the first time. I have started teaching this novel to high school freshmen as a companion to Romeo and Juliet. For the most part, it was a hit though the romance aspect was a hang-up for some of my boys. The audiobook version was very nice.

July 14, 2017 Review:
It's difficult for me to review this book because it is so great that anything I write about it will feel lame by comparison. I expected to like this novel because of all the science - specifically, the interplay between cosmology and poetry - and I did love all of the scientific and historical interludes, but what really blew me away was how much heart the characters had. The main characters, yes, but even the minor characters, who still get to have their story heard no matter how few pages we meet them for. It would be easy for this love story to feel cheesy or sappy, but it was so earnest that I never questioned it. Beautiful stuff. My new favorite YA novel.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sun Is Also a Star.

June 10, 2017 – Shelved