Leslie's Reviews > A Question of Inheritance

A Question of Inheritance by Elizabeth Edmondson

bookshelves: historic, ku, mystery

This is the second book in the A Very English Mystery series. You could probably read it as a stand alone but why would you. Again set in Selchester Castle and its environs Hugo Hawksworth returns but this time there is an 18th Earl and Lady Sonia's plans to sell the castle have collapsed. It has been revealed that the 17th Earl had a secret first marriage that resulted in a son, an American son. Gus and his daughters Lady Babs (Barbara) and Lady Polly, have arrived and are trying to settle in for Christmas.

Their arrival means that Freya and the Hawksworths are about to be evicted and are desperate to find new lodgings in a house shy, post war England. Additionally Hawksworth is tasked with solving a crime where an English officer had been accepting rare and missing works of art in post war Berlin to denazify people and absolve them of their sins.

Lady Sonia, her alleged fiance and Oliver; an art dealer, arrive at the Castle for Christmas to befriend the new Earl. She isn't exactly altruistic and is seems that the new Earl is dreadfully accident prone; or perhaps someone is trying to kill him.
And for someone who has spent 7 years writing a family History; Freya is dreadfully clueless about the details, what could she be writing?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Question of Inheritance.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Marlene (new)

Marlene "Why would you." I like that. I think the only case I would is if I only had access to book two and didn't have a particular reason to start at book one. I'm guessing you are already aware that Elizabeth Edmondson is the same author as Elizabeth Aston?

message 2: by Mary (new)

Mary What could she be writing,indeed!

Leslie Marlene wrote: ""Why would you." I like that. I think the only case I would is if I only had access to book two and didn't have a particular reason to start at book one. I'm guessing you are already aware that Eli..."
No Marlene I had no clue that this was a nom de plume. Nor do I know who Elizabeth Aston is. I don't even know how I stumbled upon this series.

message 4: by Marlene (last edited Jun 12, 2017 03:51PM) (new)

Marlene Elizabeth Aston wrote Mr. Darcy's Daughters, which I reviewed. (It's not my typical review format, though.)