Lacey's Reviews > Room at the Top

Room at the Top by Jane Davitt

Aug 26, 2011

bookshelves: m-m-m, bdsm-ish, age-difference, contemporary, established-couples, adorable-mc, favorites, possible-sequels

I really liked the dynamics between all 3 of the guys. Austin and Jay are so good together, and you really see how they work as a couple before they ever get with Liam. This book is just as much about BDSM as it is the romance between the 3 characters. It works because it really shows how the romance and D/s go together and influence each other for these guys. So you should expect a lot of BDSM in this book (although it's not seriously hard core or anything). In fact, almost every chapter has a scene; however, these scenes with Liam don't include sex until the second half of the book so it's not bogged down with a lot of sex scenes.

The authors did a great job describing the needs and feelings of each character. This is one of the few m/m books that I've read that really make me understand why each needs either domination or submission, and how they each respond to it. I also liked how they explained the differences in Austin's submission and in Jay's. It was different for each in why they needed it, what exactly they needed from Liam, and in how they responded to what he did. I loved seeing those subtle differences.

I also liked that plenty of time was taken to show how Liam's feelings developed. His feelings for the guys come from their BDSM sessions which really makes sense for him. See although he's always dated women, he always enjoyed male subs (although he never had sex with them until Austin and Jay) more than females because of the dynamics involved. Because of that, it seems more realistic that since he found the perfect (for him) male subs in the guys, he would eventually come to love them beyond that as well. It's also brought up several times as to whether or not he was ever totally straight since he always preferred male subs. I really enjoyed the times we had Liam's POV because we saw all of this and his struggles with what was happening. I also enjoyed being in his head b/c we got to see past his role as the dom. For instance, I enjoyed the times that he wanted to smile or laugh at something one of the guys did during a scene, but he knew it was up to him to keep the scene going so he couldn't. It's little things like that that really made me see Liam as a man and not just a dom.

There were also a couple of things that kept this from being better for me. The secondary character of April wasn't explained well enough for me in the end. I got that as the only girl and the youngest child, she was spoiled rotten so she developed that mentality of always getting her way or whatever. But at the end, the authors try to show a revelation of sorts, and I didn't completely buy it after everything we were told. Plus, it was never followed up so who knows if she really changed.

Also, although there is a happy ending, we're still left with plenty of questions as to how the menage will really turn out. (view spoiler)

Overall, I really enjoyed this story and appreciated it for its approach to BDSM and showing the dynamics the three main characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Room at the Top.

Lacey Wow, I think that's my longest review yet! ;)

message 2: by Deja (new) - added it

Deja Dei Lacey wrote: "Wow, I think that's my longest review yet! ;)"

It's a great review. I kinda hate bdsm, but I might consider this one b/c I feel like I don't understand it at all. Maybe if I read this I might understand better.

Lacey I understand that, D. Although there's a lot of scenes in this one, it's not really hard-core or anything. (view spoiler) Hope that helps!

message 4: by Deja (new) - added it

Deja Dei It does. Thanks!