Morgan's Reviews > I Know It's Over

I Know It's Over by C.K. Kelly Martin

Aug 26, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: 3-stars

I Know It’s Over by C.K. Kelly Martin is a moving young adult drama that reveals some of the complications, choices and consequences that result from an unwanted, unplanned teen pregnancy.

I immensely enjoyed this novel, and the only reason I didn’t rate it higher was because it wasn’t a novel I would want to re-read. When I rate a book 4 or 5 STARS it means I loved it so much I would want to revisit it down the road. While I am grateful for the experience of reading this novel, I wouldn’t ever feel compelled to read it again.

I Know It’s Over stood out from other young adult novels. For one thing, it’s told from a male’s point of view. The majority of the novels I read are told from the female’s perspective, if not solely than mainly. Reading from Nick’s perspective was realistic and fascinating.

Martin gives you a front-row seat to Nick’s thoughts and emotions. And let me tell you, his emotions are all over the place. At the start of this novel, Nick is single and casually “hooking up” with Dani. His unfiltered thoughts and carefree actions were just like your stereotypical 16-year-old boy. He was almost desperate at times, always taking whatever he could get from Dani, and not interested in a monogamous relationship. Are all teenage boys like Nick? No, but I would guess there are a lot like him out there.

When Nick and Sasha start hanging out, it’s one emotion after another: pleasure, happiness, anger, betrayal, sadness, frustration, etc. The relationship between Nick and Sasha is true-to-life; it’s not a fairy tale. I really appreciate the way Martin portrayed their first time together. She kept things real.

This book has a lot of great characters, especially Nick and Nathan, Nick’s best friend who is struggling with his sexuality. I was not, however, a huge fan of Sasha and Keelor, Nick’s other best friend. For the life of me, I couldn’t understand what Nick saw in Sasha. Even his memories from the beginning of their relationship paint her poorly. She came across as sort of bitchy, sort of judgmental, and extremely selfish. She breaks up with Nick with a stupid, selfish reason. She ignores him and shuts him out. She also doesn’t really include Nick in any of the decision-making. I am all for female power, but Sasha never considers Nick’s feelings or opinions. That made her selfish.

I gave I Know It’s Over by C.K. Kelly Martin 3 STARS (3.5 STARS). I recommend this novel to all young adults. If you are looking for a happy, feel-good book then this probably isn’t the book for you. It’s not a complete downer, but it’s a realistic take on teen pregnancy…so it’s not a fairy tale.

-XOXO

READING, EATING AND DREAMING
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Know It's Over.