Lo's Reviews > A Million Suns

A Million Suns by Beth Revis

Aug 26, 2011

bookshelves: action, i-loved-it, oh-the-drama, please-don-t-end, sci-fi

Across the Universe was one of my favorite reads of 2011. When you read a book that is just so UN-putdownable, the stakes are pretty high. I'm happy to say that A Million Suns... DELIVERED. The year is young, but I can say that this will be one of my favorites of 2012. Since I know that some people have not yet read this book, I like to leave reviews that are thoughts and not necessarily a summary.

First of all, the cover? GORGEOUS. Space is cool. Secondly, AHHHHHHH! I loved the second book just as much (if not more) than ATU.

WHAT I LIKED: 1) In the first three chapters a SHOCKING and I mean SHOCKING discovery is revealed. I never saw it coming. 2) Amy and Elder. I love these characters and care what happens to them. ATU ended with lots of tension between Amy and Elder. A secret was confessed and it was very clear that things would change between them. It doesn't magically go away in the second book, there is some awkwardness between them and confusion about feelings. There is a lot of tension and they spend a lot of the book apart, but for different and important reasons. Elder in this book, really grew up as he should as new leader of the ship. He is tested so much, that I want to virtually yell at the ship and tell them to give him a "frexing" break! He has a lot on his shoulders and it was fun watching him try to deal with problem after problem. 3) The unexpected enemies. And yes, there are a few of them that emerge as the "bad guys." I again, was entirely shocked to see who ended up on the "wrong" side. 4) The mystery unfolds like a scavenger hunt and I couldn't have loved that idea more! I really love that these stories have been so mysterious. If you like space, romance, and mystery, the "Across the Universe" has so far been such a beautiful combination of all three.

Finally... I CANNOT WAIT. I repeat. I. CANNOT. WAITTT to read Shades of Earth next.

RECOMMEND!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Million Suns.

August 26, 2011 – Shelved
January 8, 2012 – Started Reading
January 8, 2012 –
0.0% "...not in my grabby hands yet, but it will be released in 2 days! "Across the Universe" was in my top 3 favorite books of 2011. I can't wait to continue!"
January 10, 2012 –
5.0% ":O <------- my face at the end of chapter 3. !!!!"
January 10, 2012 –
28.0% "I'm "frexing" excited to be moving on with this story. LOVE,LOVE the mystery in the book and love the "scavenger hunt" involving classic books! <3 And Elder... his character has grown so much as he is getting into his leadership role. I want to read through the night, however, not this night."
January 12, 2012 –