Valerie's Reviews > The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Aug 26, 2011

bookshelves: stand-alone-fantasy-sf, read-in-2012, favorites

I hate writing ultra-positive reviews. I'm fine with critiquing a book or pointing out what I don't like, or even pointing out things that I mildly like, but when it comes to books that I really love -- like this -- I feel like I'm writing nonsense.

I might elaborate more later, but for now: this was fantastic and touched upon a ton of themes that will make me weak at the knees every time. Isolated settings and gender role commentary, for example. This then added this incredibly eerie atmosphere, small-town politics, and mythology/world-building that had me believing that yes, this is something that happens somewhere every year.

The water horses are downright frightening. The book doesn't shy away from how brutal they can be, and it gets pretty gory sometimes. I thought it was odd at first that some people had this book shelved as "dystopia," but while reading it made perfect sense.

The romance -- it's there, but it's not insta-love or obnoxious at all (it doesn't really come to fruition until the last quarter). The characters are going through several other issues; their love doesn't solve them all, nor do they pretend it will. I really enjoyed that aspect.

Be forewarned: this isn't about the race itself - that doesn't actually happen until the last 20 or so pages of the book. It doesn't have a ton of action. It's about the build-up, the journey, and the underbelly of how it all comes together. I don't think I would've liked it any other way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.

August 26, 2011 – Shelved
February 3, 2012 – Started Reading
page 82
page 166
page 207
February 5, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

i want to read this SO BADLY OMG

Valerie I really like it so far.

Valerie Amending: so far, this is my favorite thing I've read this year.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

:D i've literally heard nothing but amazing things about it. i've also never read anything by her that wasn't amazing.

Kasia I have to read this now, getting the ebook as I type, what a great review!

Valerie Emily, I think the only negative reaction I keep seeing is, "It's slow," which is kind of missing the point imo (and not something I entirely mind unless it's an extreme case -- Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell is one of my favorite books, after all).

I hope you like it, Kasia! :D