Celia's Reviews > Slice of Cherry

Slice of Cherry by Dia Reeves

liked it
bookshelves: 2011-books, horror, youngadult, fantasy

Slice of Cherry is a seriously twisted horror novel that was a really creepy read. I am not generally a horror reader, and I found some of the details in this a little graphic to be really enjoyable.

The protagonists of Slice of Cherry are sisters, Kit and Fancy, who are both psychopaths (to different degrees). And I think Dia Reeves does an excellent job of making two girls who take great pleasure in torture and killing to be intriguing protragonists. I didn't like either of them - in fact, I really disliked Fancy and kept hoping for terrible things to happen to her - but I wanted to keep reading about them. I did find the mostly positive way the townspeople end up responding to Kit and Fancy rather odd.

The world of Slice of Cherry is opaque - monsters exist, Fancy can open doors to another world, and no-one seems particularly surprised by this ability. And yet other parts of the world are contemporary (Kit and Fancy go to a normal school). Because there was no sense about the "rules" of the world, this took away from the story I thought - there was no outlying structure supporting the plot.

I think I'd try something else written by Dia Reeves - she has a distinctive and humourous writing style - but Slice of Cherry just wasn't really my thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slice of Cherry.