Dan Schwent's Reviews > The Dunfield Terror

The Dunfield Terror by William Meikle

Jun 09, 2017

bookshelves: 2017-books, 2017

When a strange glowing fog descends on a Newfoundland town, Frank and the rest of the snow plow crew try to save their neighbors. But what does the fog have to do with a bizarre experiment on the Dunfield in the 1950s?

In the chaos that ensued during the tribulations at DarkFuse, this went on sale and I snapped it up. I passed on it when it showed up on Netgalley, thinking it was a pastiche of HP Lovecraft's The Dunwich Horror. I was wrong.

You can see the confusion, though. It doesn't take much to get from Dunwich to Dunfield and William Meikle has written his share of Lovecraftian tales. However, this was more of an homage to The Colour Out of Space by way of the The Philadelphia Experiment.

The story is told in two threads: the present day and the time of the Dunfield experiment and its aftermath. The parallel structure does a lot to enhance the dread. If scientists couldn't contain the fog, how the hell can a crew of snowplow drivers?

Frank and his neighbors have been haunted by "the fucker" for decades, a glowing fog that warps and kills anything it touches. When the fog shows up during a blizzard, things go south in a hurry. The isolated townsfolk drop like flies and Frank knows there is very little any of them can do. The juxtaposition of the blizzard with the fog makes for some tense moments, pitting otherworldly horror and the everyday horror of death by exposure or frostbite.

The experimental thread focused on the horrors of the unknown and things men wasn't meant to know. The weird tech reminded me of Pentacle, making me think it probably takes place in the same universe, and also The Fold and 14. I also thought it was great how Meikle used The Philadelphia Experiment for the basis of a horror novel.

I feel like I've come to the William Meikle party late but I'm here for the duration now. Four out of five stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dunfield Terror.

June 9, 2017 – Shelved
July 15, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-books
July 15, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017
July 15, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Ken (new)

Ken Wow is that title reminiscent of Lovecraft's The Dunwich Horror.

message 2: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Ken wrote: "Wow is that title reminiscent of Lovecraft's The Dunwich Horror."

Yeah but it's much more like The Colour out of Space.

message 3: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Smith Great review Dan 😊

message 4: by Nicole (new) - added it

Nicole Adding to my list because I have family in Newfoundland, one of whose mottos is "Fun in the Fog." :)

message 5: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Miriam wrote: "Great review Dan 😊"

Thanks!

message 6: by Dan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dan Schwent Nicole wrote: "Adding to my list because I have family in Newfoundland, one of whose mottos is "Fun in the Fog." :)"

That's pretty cool. William Meikle lives in Newfoundland so I imagine the Newfie parts are fairly authentic.