Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews's Reviews > Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore

Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore by Matthew J. Sullivan

Traveling Sisters Review by Brenda, Norma and Kaceey.

5 Shiny, Sparkling, and Bright stars from all of us!

When we first thought about reading Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore we wanted to read it with Kaceey and Lindsay, however, the timing was not on our side and we ended up only being able to read it with Kaceey. We really missed Lindsay on this one and wished it would've worked out for all of us.

Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore is an intriguing, dark, clever, and one of the most original and engrossing thrillers we have read. It starts off fast and dramatic and caught our attention right away. It quickly turned into a fast page-turner afternoon with us turning the pages as fast as we could and messaging each other quite often with our theories and guesses until life demanded our attention. Making this the best and funniest Traveling Sister Read we have done so far with Kaceey.

Matthew Sullivan delivers a well-paced and well-written solid story here with one of the most perfect settings in our opinion taking place in an eccentric bookstore with quirky and unique characters. We all loved the feeling with the sense of place and could visualize ourselves walking through the aisles of the bookstore as he described all the areas so vividly. He had us all wanting to visit and explore that bookstore. We were amused by the Bookfrogs and enjoyed how they were part of a community within the bookstore that Lydia and her quirky colleagues would try to protect and embraced them as part of the bookstore.

The clever solid original plot with savvy connections and puzzles incorporated in the storyline had us searching for clues but very little clues were given along the way for Norma to follow and her detective skills were stalled. So very clever of Sullivan but not clever enough for Kaceey who shocked us and herself with figuring out right away who the Hammerman was but not knowing the reasoning behind it. Of course, Brenda is off in left field trying to lure them to join her there with her out of field theories. It really adds more fun to our reads with how different of readers we are and how we compliment each other. We could really see that with this book and in this reading experience.

Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore is one not to be missed and we highly recommend pushing this one to the top of your list.

Thank you to NetGalley, Scribner and Matthew J. Sullivan for copy to read and review.

All of Traveling Sister reviews along with Norma and my reviews can be found on our sister blog:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore.

June 9, 2017 – Shelved
July 12, 2017 – Started Reading
July 15, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 56 (56 new)

Susanne  Strong Looking forward to the sister review Brenda!

Karen Wonderful review! So glad you loved it too!

Brenda Terrific review, Brenda, (Norma & Kaceey)!! Glad you all enjoyed this one so much =) I enjoyed this one as well.

message 4: by Kendall (new)

Kendall Awesome review Brenda! Glad you have your sister reads. :)

message 5: by Vanessa (new) - added it

Vanessa Love that you all loved this book!

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Susanne wrote: "Looking forward to the sister review Brenda!"

Thank you, Susanne! We all loved this one!

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Karen wrote: "Wonderful review! So glad you loved it too!"

Thank you, Karen!

Sarah Joint Very nice review! I so enjoyed this book too.

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Brenda wrote: "Terrific review, Brenda, (Norma & Kaceey)!! Glad you all enjoyed this one so much =) I enjoyed this one as well."

Thank you, from all of us, Brenda! I am really happy to see you enjoyed it too!

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Kendall wrote: "Awesome review Brenda! Glad you have your sister reads. :)"

Thank you, Kendall! So nice to see that. I am really glad we do too!

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Vanessa wrote: "Love that you all loved this book!"

Thank you, Vanessa! That's so nice to see!

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Sarah wrote: "Very nice review! I so enjoyed this book too."

Thank you, Sarah! I am glad to see you did too! It"s such a great book!

Norma Very nice Sister Review my dear Sister! lol

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Norma wrote: "Very nice Sister Review my dear Sister! lol"

Well thank you for all the fun and giving us so much to write about!

Kaceey Wonderful review my sisters!:-) This was definitely my favorite one we have read....so far!☺️

Jaline Fabulous review, Brenda! (And yes, I checked - haha) I have bumped this one into August because after your reviews, I cannot wait any more! :)

Mary Beth Fabulous review Brenda! Glad that you loved it.

message 18: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Fantastic review Brenda.

message 19: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Great review Brenda1

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Kaceey wrote: "Wonderful review my sisters!:-) This was definitely my favorite one we have read....so far!☺️"

Thank you, Kaceey! I agree. I am looking forward to finding more for sure!

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Jaline wrote: "Fabulous review, Brenda! (And yes, I checked - haha) I have bumped this one into August because after your reviews, I cannot wait any more! :)"

Thank you, Jaline! Lol you will be from now on right? Haha! Oh I am so glad you did. It really is that good. I think you will love it. I will be waiting for your review. Looking forward to our Traveling Sister Read!

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Mary wrote: "Fabulous review Brenda! Glad that you loved it."

Thank you, Mary!

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Maureen wrote: "Fantastic review Brenda."

Thank you, Maureen!

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Holly wrote: "Great review Brenda1"

Thank you, Holly!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Wonderful review, Brenda and sisters!

Meredith ( on Semi-Hiatus until February) Great review, Brenda! Just added this one!

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Wonderful review, Brenda and sisters!"

Thank you, Jennifer, from all of us!

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Meredith wrote: "Great review, Brenda! Just added this one!"

Thank you, Meredith! I so happy to see you added it. I hope you love it!

Candace Fantastic review, Brenda! :)

James great review

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Candace wrote: "Fantastic review, Brenda! :)"

Thank you, Candace!

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews James wrote: "great review"

Thank you, James!

Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Wonderful review Brenda!! I'm so glad that you three loved this one! And thanks for thinking of me and missing me while reading it - too cute! Unfortunately, we can't time each and every book out perfectly but it makes it really special when we actually get all 4 of us together for one book! I look forward to starting our next one this week!!!!

message 34: by Jill (new) - added it

Jill McGill Awesome review, Brenda! :)

message 35: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Yay! A 5er!! Nice review, ladies. I'm super excited to read this too now

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Lindsay wrote: "Wonderful review Brenda!! I'm so glad that you three loved this one! And thanks for thinking of me and missing me while reading it - too cute! Unfortunately, we can't time each and every book out p..."

Thank you, Lindsay! Yeah timing does gets a little tricky with the 4 of us. I try not to be too disappointed. Heehee. I am just so glad to have you both as our Traveling Sisters and I am looking forward to starting our read soon too!

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Jill wrote: "Awesome review, Brenda! :)"

Thank you, Jill!

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Jen wrote: "Yay! A 5er!! Nice review, ladies. I'm super excited to read this too now"

Thank you, Jen, for all of us! I am excited for you to start this one too! I think you will really like this one!

Jennifer Masterson Wonderful review, Brenda! I'm so happy to see 5 Stars from you and that you loved it. :)

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Jennifer wrote: "Wonderful review, Brenda! I'm so happy to see 5 Stars from you and that you loved it. :)"

Thank you, Jennifer! I hope it is 5 stars for you too!

message 41: by Victoria (new) - added it

Victoria Such a fun review! I loved how you included all of us in your madcap texting and sleuthing adventures!

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Thank you so much Victoria! That so nice to hear! 😃

Jaline Brenda wrote: "Thank you, Jaline! Lol you will be from now on right? Haha!

Yes, it is my new routine: double check: Brenda? Norma? Norma? Brenda? haha

I'm glad I bumped it, too - I have wanted to read this since the very first review I saw; your Traveling Sisters read made it mandatory! :) :)

Looking forward to our Traveling Sister Read!"

Me, too, Brenda! I am so excited and it will be such fun! (If for some alien reason it isn't, we will make it so! :)

message 44: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Fantastic review! I can't wait to read this one :)

message 45: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Looking forward to reading it even more now! Great review!

message 46: by Frances (new) - added it

Frances Hope to read this one day! Great review Brenda !

message 47: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda Fantastic review Brenda, sounds awesome! :)

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Deanna wrote: "Fantastic review! I can't wait to read this one :)"

Thank you, Deanna! I hope you love it. I will be watching out for your review!

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Jaline wrote: "Brenda wrote: "Thank you, Jaline! Lol you will be from now on right? Haha!

Yes, it is my new routine: double check: Brenda? Norma? Norma? Brenda? haha

Oh I am so glad you did. It really is that g..."

Too funny Jaline!

Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews Holly wrote: "Looking forward to reading it even more now! Great review!"

Thank you, Holly! I am so glad to hear that! I hope you love it!

« previous 1