Virginia Marks's Reviews > Butterfly Serenade

Butterfly Serenade by Julianna Douglas

Never have I read a more powerful book than this one. It is astounding the events that this woman has lived through.

Rose Harman has a soiled reputation on campus. Her calm and caring manner is a dark contrast to when her demon is taking control of her body. She is sharing a dorm with a girl that with her help and the help of her mother has given Rose a place to live when she was new in town and gave her the motivation to become a nurse as well. Someone absolutely horrid took this girls innocence and left her with more that emotional scars. He was supposed to be their savior, but only managed to beat and rape women and hide inside of a church. The Convenant Grace Bible Church protects the men who are sent by god to reprogram the women into submisive slaves. Escaping that world did not remove the demon known as "Him."

Colin O'Malley is studying musical therapy and psychology. He never imagined that his career path would bring him in contact with his destiny. His mother was raped and was able to tell her husband and her kids about the experience. Because of her strength Colin knew that he would help others as well. He had several volunteer groups for hospitals and nursing homes, the other group is a rape prevention community watch. At the start of a new term at school he almost knocks over a person on the steps. When he sees the woman he is immediately knows that she in the one for him.

Several events happen to test the strength of Rose and there is a never ending supply of people wanting to help her if she would only let them in. Rose believes the only way she can calm "Him" is through random sex. When she cannot get Colin to give in to her demon she pushes him back. Colin tries every bit of information  and music to show her that his love is the real deal.

How amazing would life be if there were more men like Colin? Someone who loves you in spite of it all, someone who will hold you and calms the nightmares. He is loving, patient, kind, supportive, and with the support team of his brothers and parents, swears that he won't let her go until she loves him back.

Many women, teens, children have been put in that similar position where they have been hurt. This story shows how the power of love and friendship can help you see a brighter future. Rose believed that there was only one way to fight back and that was through surrender, but was able to finally see that she is the butterfly she so desperatly wanted to become.

Many truths are in this story and happens so often. I am in awe of the strength that the little kids have. Just reading about the things they have survived made me weep. I could imagine a little girl curled up in my lap and saying that a bad man hurt her. I couldn't imagine that not affecting the hearts of many people.

I hope that anyone who reads this book will find the strength or be the strength that the victims need, I love this book and will learn more about music therapy. On the last page of this book there is a number for reporting such crimes. I pray that someone will see the fight that Rose survived will impower someone to tell. No greater purpose in a book than those who want to give victims a voice. I was given this book to review from the author/publisher through Reading Alley and in exchange I give my unbiased opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Butterfly Serenade.

June 8, 2017 – Started Reading