Whispering Stories's Reviews > Come Sundown

Come Sundown by Nora Roberts

20354973

On a cold, snowy day in 1991 Alice Bodine decided to return home, after upping and leaving three years earlier. Making a decision between cutting across the wildness in the snow, or going the longer way round, Alice decided to stick to the road, which seemed like the safer option of the two. How wrong could Alice have been?

Back in present-day Montana, Bodine Longbow (Alice’s niece), is the manager of her family’s, four-generation run holiday ranch. She is hard-working and has little time for herself. So when an ex-lover, Callum, comes back into her life, taking up work on the ranch, she decides she doesn’t have time for a relationships.

At the same time as Callum re-appears, women start being murdered. Is this just a coincidence or is Callum involved? Events take an even darker twist when Alice suddenly makes an appearance in a distressed state, 25 years after she disappeared.

Firstly time for a confession. Although I have known about Nora Robert’s work for a long time, this is the first book that I have read by her, and I can assure you, it won’t be the last.

This book is dark, sinister at times. There are some brutal scenes, and horrifying events, especially regarding Alice, who has been kept as a slave/baby-maker for the last 25 years, repeatedly battered, and raped by her captor.

We as readers are taken back and forth between Alice’s horrific world and present-day Montana. The characters, and there are quite a few of them, are all well thought out, and wonderfully-constructed. The family has such a strong bond between them, that it’s hard not to like each and everyone of them.

There are some lighter, more at ease scenes, including a few romances and fun events occurring between the family members, so it’s not all heart-wrenching.

I love a good book that absorbs me into the plot and hooks me to the page, gets my pulse racing, and my emotions in a tither. This book did all of those things.

Ms. Roberts keeps us guessing as to what is going to happen next. With plenty of twists, turns and mystery, this book is a definite 2017 must-read.

Reviewed by Stacey on www.whisperingstories.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Come Sundown.

June 1, 2017 – Started Reading
June 7, 2017 – Finished Reading
June 9, 2017 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Celeste This was a pretty good choice for your first Nora Roberts book. She's one of my favorites. Great review! 😊

Whispering Stories Thanks. She's one of those authors that has been around for a long time, and you see her books everywhere, just never get around to reading her books.

I bought my first Stephen King book last year.