Leslie's Reviews > A Man of Some Repute

A Man of Some Repute by Elizabeth Edmondson

bookshelves: historic, mystery, ku

I absolutely adored this atmospheric, unique, mystery. Set in Post WW2 Britain is has a missing Earl, spies and blackmail. When Hugo Hawksworth, a benched due to injury, secret agent is sent to the Hall, nominally a statistics office near Selchester he is lodged at the Castle. Selchester Castle has been mostly empty since the disappearance of the 17th Earl in 1947; only a housekeeper, a chauffeur turned groom and a family member Freya Wryton who is ostensibly writing a family history.

When Hawksworth arrives with his stick, he has a bad leg, and his orphaned 13 year old sister Georgia; he has no idea he will be working to solve a cold case. Everyone in the castle and in the surrounding town are on tenterhooks as that the Earl's disappearance is almost 7 years old and as soon he is declared legally dead his heir, Lady Sonia, plans to sell the castle to a hotel chain.

Every character, large and small, is wonderfully described and developed. You absolutely feel like you are walking the lanes, and creepy corridors. You'll want to stop into the Daffodil Tea room for a cuppa and a cake and some local gossip.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Man of Some Repute.

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary What a lovely review! You were certainly bewitched by this one!

Leslie I totally was. When I finished the first and I saw there was a second I was so happy. When I finished the second and saw there was a third I was giddy. Then I discovered that book 3 won't be out until September. Luckily I discovered 1.5 and read that and now I am reading another book by the author.

message 3: by Anushree (new)

Anushree Fab review Leslie :)

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary Leslie,you're hooked!!

Leslie Mary wrote: "Leslie,you're hooked!!"

I am I am going to need a support group to get through the summer ;)