Scott's Reviews > Camino Island

Camino Island by John Grisham

bookshelves: books-read-but-not-owned

Every time I read a book by John Grisham, I am consistently reminded of what a great storyteller he is. His style is compact, direct and to the point, and pulls you in immediately. I wasn’t 10 pages into his new book “Camino Island” and I knew that I would be spending most of the day focused on reading it. The good news is that it was worth it.

Rather than focusing on lawyers, it takes aim at the world of bookstores, publishing, and writers. It begins with a skillful heist of five John F. Fitzgerald manuscripts from a secure vault below Princeton’s Firestone Library. The manuscripts end up in a secondary black market and a young female writer, Mercer Mann, is hired to go undercover an investigate a popular independent bookstore owner and prominent dealer in rare books that is thought to have or know who is in possession of the manuscripts.

Using a background that is second nature to Grisham works well and provides interesting tidbits and name dropping throughout the book. As usual, Mercer is in over her head and the reader is right there with her. The plot develops fast and flows well. His prose is easy to read and take in as the pages meld together in a character driven adventure that captures your attention. Even though this book is one of his shorter ones (just under 300 pages), it is well worth the time.

Overall, Grisham knows how to tell a story that readers enjoy. I especially appreciated his respectful name dropping of Stephen King, support for independent bookstores, a nice small shot at Amazon. The question to ask myself is whether I ever really read a bad Grisham book? Although some are better than others, the answer is no. All of them have been good, better, or best. If you’re honest, you are probably nodding your head right now. “Camino Island” is one of the better ones. Just try it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Camino Island.

June 8, 2017 – Started Reading
June 8, 2017 – Shelved
June 8, 2017 – Shelved as: books-read-but-not-owned
June 8, 2017 –
June 10, 2017 –
June 10, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)

Matt Great review... I am looking forward to this one.

Susan loved the book but it was too short .....good ride though

Scott Agreed.

Scott Thank you. I hope you enjoy it.

message 5: by Mackey (new)

Mackey I used to love Grisham but got a little tired of his legal thrillers. This sounds like a good one to pull me back in again. Nice review.

message 6: by Chrissy (new)

Chrissy Danielson Anyone tell me if I have to read his books in order or can I just read his new one Camino Island ?

Scott It is a separate story and can be read any time without the others.

message 8: by Feli (new) - added it

Feli Great review. I was always wondering, with which Grisham book Ich should start, cause I haven't any oft it so far. I think I will give this one a try.

Mark Monsma "Calico Joe" was my least favourite Grisham novel. I'm currently reading "Camino Island" -- I love it!

Scott Good. When it comes to taste, I am not on an island by myself.

Theresa (bookbliss925) Great review! I love JG and always enjoy reading his books. And you're right, I was nodding my head. lol I can't think of a bad book.

message 12: by ANTONY (new) - added it

ANTONY Nice review.

PhobicPrerogative Liked the beginning, hated the end. It was absurd, to say the least.

Nancy Moore I, too, got caught up in the beginning, but as I read on it became uninteresting. Didn't have enough drama and hated the ending.

Scott Hi Nancy,

i understand your feelings about the ending. Several other people I have spoken with felt like it had lack of drama at the end. You're not the only one to feel that way. Side bar - I read in an interview with Grisham that his wife gave him the idea for writing this book. It's not related to your comments, but I thought it was interesting. Better luck next time in your reading pleasure.