Amanda's Reviews > The Girlfriend

The Girlfriend by Michelle Frances

bookshelves: 2019

Want to have a conversation about despicable characters? Easy to do after reading this book. Cherry and Laura were both pretty vile but top billing goes to Cherry, for sure. Not that the male roles stood up to any positive models of masculinity - a cheater and a torn mama's boy. Even the side characters seemed to be vessels for one stereotypical negative attribute or another - Izzy, Bridgett, Nicole, the girls in Cherry's office... The ONE person in the entire novel who wasn't clambering over someone else's figurative corpse was Cherry's poor mother, Wendy. That poor woman.

*spoiler alert* The only thing that would have been better than Cherry's comeuppance at the hands of Laura would have been at the hands of her own mother directly. Though kudos to her for getting that ball rolling, I suppose. *end of spoiler*

Michelle Frances can whip up some dicey dynamics, making for a really good book. I read it in 2 short afternoons at the pool and I'm looking for another by this author as we speak. Or type, as is the case here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girlfriend.

June 8, 2017 – Shelved