G.J. Griffiths's Reviews > Parallel Worlds: A Journey through Creation, Higher Dimensions, and the Future of the Cosmos

Parallel Worlds by Michio Kaku

bookshelves: guides, my-reviews, science, ya

Michio Kaku’s brilliant book is one of those few that make the reader feel sad at the end. This is not because it has a denouement that pulls out the tears for the events that overtake any of the participants but because of the author’s skill of inspirational explanation about such an incredible subject. You just feel as though you want more of this kind of elegant and entertaining exposition. What could be considered to be very dry and difficult areas of physics to make explicable to those with little interest in or knowledge of science are made as compelling and as intriguing as any crime thriller. The main subjects Kaku tackles are cosmology and quantum theory, as well as a fair dose of string theory which is his specialism. But his weaving of philosophy, science history and the many anecdotes surrounding famous names, for example Newton, Einstein, Darwin, Hawking, as well as some less well-known physicists to layperson readers, has produced an extremely comprehensive book about parallel universes that is accessible and fascinating – without as I recall any sign of an equation throughout it!

The “events” of which I spoke earlier are all those, physical, chemical, or biological that have occurred since the so-called Big Bang and Inflation; and those that are still yet to descend upon all planets, galaxies, universes; and include all forms of life and consciousness as the “participants”. When the author moves towards the end of the book on to the subject of the purpose and meanings of life and the universe it is with great sensitivity, even optimism, and his undoubted enthusiasm and awe for the wonders and mysteries of “everything” in this universe also comes through. Many of the subjects are handled with a hint of fun and amusement from Michio Kaku and this often helped to balance my own large lumps of scepticism in some of his discussions. Another great bonus for this particular reader was a better grasp of string theory, which I once despaired of ever achieving. Highly recommended to anyone interested in the destiny of humanity in this or any other world – one that may be just a few millimetres away.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Parallel Worlds.

June 8, 2017 – Started Reading