✨ jamieson ✨'s Reviews > Moroda

Moroda by L.L. McNeil

bookshelves: 2017-reads, arc, fantasy, owned-books, series, series-to-complete, young-adult

"From dragon-flame begun, from dragon-flame undone ... In the end, everything burns

THIS BOOK IS GOOD NEWS for any fans of dragons, sky pirates and warring fantasy worlds because Moroda, the first book in an upcoming six-book series has all three

Moroda is a high-fantasy novel set in Linaria - a world populated by various species of people, where dragons are revered as Gods and war is stirring.

It follows Moroda, a young girl who, along with her sister, is thrown into an unlikely alliance with a sky pirate called Amarah and a dragon-killer called Kohl after Moroda's city is attacked and destroyed by a dragon. Moroda sets out with her new friends to discover the truth behind dragons and to hopefully prevent the war being stirred up by Aciel - the leader of the Arillian people. She is joined by others - Itallan traders Anahrik and Palom, as well as Sapora - one of the dreaded and hated Varkain. Together this rag-tag team will travel across the world to try and protect the peace and save their people.

Moroda held her breath and it was suddenly on top of them -- a dragon of immense size. It had deep, silvery-blue scaled and black thorns, and it's wings blotted out the sky

Moroda is set firmly in the high-fantasy bracket. It definitely gave me some Eragon/The Inheritance Cycle vibes, mixed with a little Game of Thrones and Tolkien elements. The world is very expansive - with different 'races' of human-type people co-existing and battling for control. Itallans and Varkains are shape-shifters, who can turn themselves into animals at will. The Arillian's are a species with wings and the ability to perform magic.

The huge world, with so many different and fantastical characters and places was a massive highlight for me, and anyone who likes non-human type characters in their fantasy. The only drawback was that in parts I was confused over which species was which. I definitely think some sort of glossary like many high-fantasy books have could have been useful.

But the fantasy world was a really great place to read about and fall into when you pick this up. The inclusion of dragons - and the magic that comes from them, as well as phoenixes, sky ships and pirates.

THINGS I LIKED ABOUT MORODA

■ as mentioned, the world. I really liked Linaria as a fantasy setting and all the elements that came along with it.
■ the way magic and the dragons interacted. Dragons play a big role in this story and the history of the world and since I love dragons I loved that. Plus the sequel looks set to include much more about the dragons
■ Good mix of characters. I liked that each character had a unique voice and arc which they grow through. I really liked Moroda's arc, but loved Sapora's character most.
■ Inclusion of swearing! I don't know why but I love swearing in books
■ NO ROMANCE. Yes you read that right people, no annoying romantic sub-plot distracting everyone from the task at hand. Sooo refreshing.
■ The theming was well done and consistent throughout the story. I really think the ending fit in with the discussions being had throughout the book and I liked that the dragons are non-stereotypical in that the older ones are pacifist.
■ REALLY liked the action scenes, especially the first few ones and the ones at the end. You've got cities burning, air races, airship heists, battles for the crown and dragon riding to look forward to. I really loved the action sequences they were a big highlight when they came along.

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE AS MUCH
■ As mentioned, the worldbuilding can be a little blurry at times - not so much because I think it's poorly written but just because I think the world is so expansive and outlandish it can get confusing. So you definitely have to be paying attention - a 'dense' read for people who aren't used to high fantasy.
■ The book was dialogue-heavy and I know some people really like that, but personally I like more prose so it was hard for me to get through at times.
■ The reasons behind the angst between different races of people was a little unclear at times. The reasons as to why people hate the Varkains so much or why the Arrillian are shunned was a little unclear to me. I would have liked more explanation here.

THINGS IM LOOKING FORWARD TO

I will definitely be continuing on with this series! I'm hooked on the world and characters and can't wait to see more of them when the second title - which I believe will be called Palom - is released.

I am definitely looking forward to more Sapora - he was my favourite character because I found him so interesting and where he's positioned now in the book has great potential for book 2.
Also looking forward to see Moroda's arc continue and find out what her decisions mean for her.
Hoping to see much more of Isa and Morgern

CONCLUSION

I went into Moroda with the expectation of Dragons and Pirates - I got that and much more to boot. Linaria is a fantastic high fantasy world, filled with exciting and unique creatures and characters who really burst from the page. Moroda takes a unique and fresh angle on many fantasy tropes, like dragons and war and creates them into something new and exciting. Great action sequences, a large rag-tag cast who are a lot of fun and complex worldbuiling I really think if you're a fan of high fantasy you'd enjoy Moroda!

A big THANKYOU to L.L McNeil for providing me with a free paperback version of Moroda in exchange for my review. All thoughts and opinions expressed in this review are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moroda.

June 7, 2017 – Shelved
June 7, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
June 21, 2017 – Started Reading
June 21, 2017 –
page 46
10.8% "This is interesting & unique so far & I'm liking it has so many characters because I lobe ensemble casts"
June 24, 2017 –
page 94
22.07% "I haven't read a high fantasy in ages and it's my favourite genre so this feels good"
June 28, 2017 –
June 30, 2017 – Shelved as: series
June 30, 2017 – Shelved as: series-to-complete
June 30, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
June 30, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Nimrod (new) - added it

Nimrod Daniel Great review! It sounds like a fun book, I already have it on my tbr :)

message 2: by Petrik (new)

Petrik Great review Jamie!! sounds like a fun book! :D

Marissa (Laudable Lit) Thanks for the review! I'm definitely adding this xx

✨    jamieson   ✨ Nimrod wrote: "Great review! It sounds like a fun book, I already have it on my tbr :)"

Thankyou! I hope you enjoy it

✨    jamieson   ✨ Petrik wrote: "Great review Jamie!! sounds like a fun book! :D"

Thankyou! It definitely was especially since I haven't read any high-fantasy in ages

✨    jamieson   ✨ Marissa (Laudable Lit) wrote: "Thanks for the review! I'm definitely adding this xx"

Glad you liked my review!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

great review