Rachel's Reviews > Rich People Problems

Rich People Problems by Kevin Kwan

Jun 20, 2017

bookshelves: 2017, fiction, author-of-color

Rich People Problems is the final book in Kevin Kwan’s Crazy Rich Asians trilogy. This review will contain spoilers for the first two books, Crazy Rich Asians and China Rich Girlfriend. I highly recommend reading the first two books before reading Rich People Problems. I don’t think it will make much sense if you aren’t already familiar with the characters.

Rich People Problems takes place about two years after China Rich Girlfriend left off. Nick’s grandmother is sick and probably close to dying. Nick was the heir apparent to Tyersall Park but he has been estranged from his grandmother since he married Rachel against her wishes. If Su Yi dies who will inherit Tyersall Park now? Nick’s conniving cousin Eddie thinks it should be him. He hasn’t changed a bit over the past two years – he’s still a pretentious snob. Some of what he does and how he acts is funny but sometimes I just wanted to punch him in the face.

Meanwhile, Nick’s mother is after Nick and Rachel to give her a grandchild. If you thought the lengths she went to try and keep them from getting married were over the top, you ain’t seen nothin’ yet!

We also check in with the Michael/Astrid/Charlie situation. Since getting rich, Michael has continued to become more and more of an asshole. He and Astrid are in the middle of an acrimonious divorce. We learn more about Charlie’s wife Isabelle, who has major problems of her own.

And then there’s Kitty, who has either forgotten or rejected everything her consultant Corrina taught her about fitting in with the old money Asians. Now that she’s married to Jack Bing, one of the richest men in Asia, she can and will behave however she wants.

The life-styles of most everyone in this book are even more outrageously lavish than in the two previous books. But Kwan, who grew up in Singapore has said that the way his characters live is totally based in reality. Regardless, it’s fun living vicariously through these people. I was mostly satisfied with the way Kwan wrapped up this series. My only problems were that Astrid’s ending seemed a little of character for her and Peik Lin’s ending felt rushed.

The book starts off a bit slow but soon returns to the level of humor that China Rich Girlfriend had. (I don’t think Kwan will be able to top Crazy Rich Asians.), including his droll and informative foot-notes. If you’re looking for a light, funny summer read, this is it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rich People Problems.

Started Reading