April Reads's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Aug 25, 2011

bookshelves: favorites
Read in January, 2011 — I own a copy

I don't know if I could put into words the things I really have in mind right now. When I first read this book, I knew in myself that I'm gonna love this. I was sure that I would want a hard copy of it instead of getting a Kindle copy. And I was right. This book deserves to have a rightful place on my shelf!

I will be a forever fan of The Twilight Saga, The Hunger Games,

The Maze Runner, Matched... And I am fascinated by their awesome authors. But I never thought it was this soon that I would meet another author as remarkable as they are. Veronica Roth made a bursting existence on my top author's list.

While reading Divergent, I realized I have to revised my Top 10 Series in my blogsite. I am saddened by the thought that one book would be cut on my list but at the same time, I'm thrilled to give this book a proper place on my Top List.

As I said before, I love Tris. No wonder why I enjoyed this book. I don't remember being annoyed with her even once throughout the story. The author didn't fail when she gave breath to this character. She's amazing... I love her wit... she's honest to her feelings despite of the consequences she may face. She's learning to be selfless, and she's brave. I wish I was like her. Not too chicken enough to take the risk for things she care about. She is now one of my favorite heroines!

Four is forever adorable! :) I really really like him! He's disciplined (and strict), tough, strong, and good-hearted... and I think I haven't told you yet... he's handsome too! :) I like his character, I bet everyone would! Four and Tris are both smart and wit. I enjoyed every conversations and arguments they had. I always look forward to their meetings.

There are more characters I like in this book. There's Caleb, Uriah, Will, and Tori too. I feel devastated when good people die... (what would I expect on Dystopian Novels anyway... of course there would be death, lots of them. I hope I don't spoil your readings, I won't tell you--who, when, and how, I promise :)

The world the author developed is not much different with the Hunger Games, Matched and Delirium. Sometimes I wonder, what would it be like to be part of those dystopian worlds? These stories are so fascinating to read, but too cataclysmic if real...

I just wanted to quote a few lines from Divergent:

"Are you saying that if you had known this before the Choosing Ceremony, you wouldn't have chosen Dauntless?... Because if that's the case, you should get out now. If you are really one of us, it won't matter to you that you might fail. And if it does, you are a coward."

"We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

If I would choose a faction, I would choose Dauntless. The initiation process scares me, but if I live in their world, what choice do I have? I want to be brave and selfless at the same time, just like Tris and Four. And even though I'm not sure if I have the guts to kill, given the same situation, I might. And yes, being selfless and brave is not at all different. It requires great amount of bravery to be selfless and care about other people instead of your own. And being brave means being selfless enough to stand up for what is right even if it means terrible consequences on your part.

What would you choose? I guess I'll leave you that question until you read the book. I really hope you will.

I would like to give this book a rating of 5/5. No questions about that, because I enjoyed and loved it very much! I couldn't put it down but was tormented to even think of finishing it. I hope that everyone who chooses to pick this book would enjoy it as much as I did. It was AWESOME and FASCINATING to me. One of the BEST BOOKS I've ever read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

05/27/2016 marked as: read