Elyse Kelly's Reviews > Little Dorrit

Little Dorrit by Charles Dickens

Aug 25, 2011

bookshelves: reviewed

I chose to read Little Dorrit because it was one of Dickens's books I'd never heard of. After finishing it, I couldn't understand why I had never heard of it. It is essentially Dickensian in its characterization and plot layout. Dickens's mind for creating eccentric and fantastic yet believable characters is phenomenal. Also, the psychology behind his characters--especially Mr. Dorrit and Arthur Clennam--is satisfyingly realistic. He makes you feel sorry for Mr. Dorrit and then just get fed up with him as Amy does. Arthur Clennam's reason for believing himself to be quite old is believable and genuine and not forced. Mr. Dickens's characterization has greatly affected me as a writer--especially in my observation of human nature, physical characteristics and eccentric quirks unique to individuals. The story is incredibly pertinent to our time as well. Doyce and Clennam's repeated assaults on the Circumlocution Office which always failed remind me of our own growing leviathan government. When I first read Little Dorrit, I expected Doyce and Clennam to eventually prevail, but they never do. The plot twists challenged me to deviate from what is expected in my own writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Little Dorrit.