Jackie's Reviews > Dear Martin

Dear Martin by Nic Stone

bookshelves: arcs, black-authors

Wow. This was one of the most impactful books I've read this year (maybe even in my entire life). This book takes you on a rollercoaster of emotions—I laughed, I cried, I was frustrated, shocked and angry. Please please please pick up this book if you can, I promise you won't regret it.

I think it is best to go into the book without knowing too much.

Dear Martin is about an African-American kid named Justyce who gets caught up in a hassle with a white police officer who misinterpreted a situation and wants to arrest him. Since his encounter with the police, Justyce has begun to take notice of the treatment of black people in the news, among his friends and at school.

Throughout the book, you will see plenty of discussions about racial profiling, police brutality against black people, white privilege and general racism. These topics are addressed and thoroughly depicted through the situations and things that Justyce, as a young black man, has to go through. What I loved about this book is that it does this through SHOWING and not so much telling.

Dear Martin is a fairly short book, but it’s very educational and puts things into perspective. I’d recommend it to people who want to know what it’s really like to live in the US as a black citizen. It depicts topics such as police brutality in a compact, but honest and powerful way.

Overall, Dear Martin was an incredibly impactful read that really gets you to THINK. It will make you fall in love with the characters (I LUV JUSTYCE), and then rip your heart out in the same scene.

Wow. Just wow.

Full review is now up on my blog: https://toomuchofabooknerd.wordpress....

*Thanks to the publisher for providing me with a copy via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. This did not affect my opinion in any way!*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear Martin.

June 6, 2017 – Shelved
June 6, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
October 20, 2017 – Shelved as: arcs
October 21, 2017 – Started Reading
October 21, 2017 –
59.0% "Oh wow, this is getting intense"
October 21, 2017 – Finished Reading