Phair's Reviews > A Bitter Truth

Aug 25, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: historical-mystery
Read in January, 2012

[3.5 stars] I like this series, although not quite as much as the similar Maisie Dobbs books. This is set a bit earlier than Maisie, Bess is still involved in the War and never seems to get a peaceful leave from her nursing duties- she always becomes entangled in some sort of mystery that keeps her hopping. Here we have a country house murder complete with bleak winter moors or fens or marshes-whatever they're called in Sussex- and a load of family secrets. I liked the parts set in France as well- Bess has an excellent rapport with her soldier patients and you could feel the danger and destruction endured by the French citizenry. The story really brought home the difficulties of communication & travel in this era compared to today with the reliance on a single village telephone or written notes/letters and the endless borrowing of 'motors' to get where you needed to go. Overall there was a real sense of the peril and loss of WWI both for the participants and those on the homefront. I will say the main mystery kept me guessing to the end. Rather a surprising twist.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Bitter Truth.