Brenna H.'s Reviews > The Inconvenient Marriage of Charlotte Beck

The Inconvenient Marriage of Charlotte Beck by Kathleen Y'Barbo

Aug 25, 2011

bookshelves: genre-christian-fiction, genre-historical, genre-romance
Read on August 25, 2011

So this was my first Kathleen Y'Barbo book I've read, as far as I can remember. It was better written than I expected. The author didn't explain everything as she wrote it, which was nice, but at the end I thought there were some things that were left unresolved. (Perhaps they were addressed and explained in the previous books; I don't know because I haven't read them.) Anyway, the story was an interesting glimpse of the American heiress marrying a penniless British lord fad that went on during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

I liked Charlotte in the beginning, but she got annoying after a while--she was so selfish and self-centered, and even a little heartless at times. And then she had her, ah, epiphany or whatever (the end of her character arc where she wakes up to the truth and all that, realizes she was being stupid, etc), all of like three pages before the end, so there wasn't much time to see her character's completed growth. Alex I liked. He was a much more sympathetic character, to me. Though I wish they'd gotten to know each other better during the story--that they'd had more real conversations where they learned about each other (and thus the reader learned about them) and their pasts and their families and all the things that made them who they were. Most of their interactions involved Charlotte doing something to annoy Alex (whether intentionally or accidentally). She never talked about her mother with him; he never talked about his father with her, and both those issues could have been fleshed out more, I think. Oh, and Martin. And the war. And the issue between their father and grandfather (what was in that letter, anyway?).

Basically, I liked the story, but I wish it'd had a bit more depth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Inconvenient Marriage of Charlotte Beck.