Cindy's Reviews > Haven

Haven by Mary Lindsey

bookshelves: arc
Read 3 times. Last read June 3, 2017 to June 4, 2017.

I received an ARC of Hide from Me at BookCon. It's long at 400 pages, but reads fast. It's from a male point of view (Aaron/Rain) which really worked for me since the heroine (Freddie) and her cousins have so many secrets that I don't want to give away in a summary. There were lots of strong secondary characters (My favorite was Petra) which makes me hope there's a second book coming, though it appears to be a stand alone book. The world building is amazing. It's complex, but well-explained and clear. I've liked other books by this author, but this one is different. Darker and sexier. Warning: there's a scene that's pretty violent (involving the villain and a secondary character). The author said at the BookCon signing that it was for older teens, and I agree. It's creepy and sexy and super intense all the way up to the end.

My favorite thing was the strength and determination of the hero, who came from a broken background on the streets of a big city, but still held out hope for making his life better. One of my favorite quotes came early in the book:

"Somehow, even after all this time, Rain couldn’t do it - couldn’t give in to the every-man-for-himself hopelessness surrounding him like a cage. There was a way out of here. There had to be."

I also liked the opening line:

"A strangled scream accompanied the gratifying crunch of breaking bones."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haven.