Papercuts1's Reviews > Relic

Relic by Douglas Preston

Aug 25, 2011

liked it

My first Preston/Child, and I intentionally started with the Pendergast series.

All in all, a suspenseful, pseudo-scientific thriller/horror story with a promising 'Special Agent' in charge.

Hard to put down, particularly during the last third, when the pace increases.

Crisp, short chapters with cliff-hangers in best thriller fashion.

An interesting main character - the white-haired, pale-eyed and meticulously dressed Southern gentleman Pendergast. Calm, well-mannered, with a sharp mind hidden behind an almost bored appearing facade.

Cinematographic setting with the NYC Natural History Museum.

An entertaining set of supporting characters, particularly Lt. D'Agosta and Margo, the grad student.

The middle part feels drawn out. The conclusion as to who commits the murders was obvious, but it takes a somewhat longish scientific/genetic discourse to let the protagonists see that as well.

The relatively large cast of characters takes away too much time from Pendergast's character. I hope his history will be better explored in the following parts of the series.

A little too much gore, for my taste. This is not a 'thriller' but a thriller/horror blend.

In sum:

Good enough to make me curious about the next book of the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Relic.

August 20, 2011 – Started Reading
August 25, 2011 – Shelved
August 25, 2011 –
August 25, 2011 –
75.0% "Getting gory and turning more into a horror/splatter novel than into a thriller. And yet, the suspense is gripping, and I'm ganging on to the interesting main cast. In any case, to what's left of them..."
August 26, 2011 – Finished Reading