Lucy Banks's Reviews > Spoonbenders

Spoonbenders by Daryl Gregory

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley, in exchange for an honest review.

A fun, novel idea, propped up by some fantastic characters.

When I read the description of this book, I thought 'what's not to like'? A family with psychic abilities, a run-in with the mob, the usual lies, deception and angsty relationships? Yeah, I can get behind all that!

For the most part, I wasn't disappointed. The book follows the Telemachus family, three generations of them, to be precise - the dapper con-man Teddy, his uber-talented wife Maureen, their three kids (Irene, Frankie and time-travelling Buddy), and the grandkids too, including plump, astral-body owning Matty, and the wonderfully goth 'Malice'.

Each character has their own plot thread, which is artfully woven to come to a satisfying climax at the end of the novel. Frankie owes huge sums of money to a dangerous man. Irene is caught up in a long-distance relationship, which suffers, due to her ability to tell when people are lying to her. And poor Buddy (the character I definitely felt most sorry for) is cursed with the ability to see into the future, and attempt to act upon it, for better or for worse.

For the most part, I really enjoyed this book. I loved the characters, they were rounded, believable and their psychic gifts were intriguing and well-explained (though I did wonder how it came about - how can one psychic family have so many different, seemingly unrelated talents? However, this is me nitpicking, if you're adept at suspending disbelief, you won't have a problem here).

It took a little time to properly get going (to the point where, at 30% through, I was wondering whether to keep on with it), but I'm glad I did, because after that, it properly held my attention. I do think it could have benefited from just a touch of tightening though, nothing too major.

Overall, a fun, imaginative and well-written book - definitely one to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spoonbenders.

June 4, 2017 – Started Reading
June 4, 2017 – Shelved
June 6, 2017 –
June 7, 2017 –
June 8, 2017 –
June 12, 2017 –
June 13, 2017 –
June 13, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz The reason I love GR is to hear about books I would never think to look twice at. Thanks for a great review.

Lucy Banks Liz wrote: "The reason I love GR is to hear about books I would never think to look twice at. Thanks for a great review." You are so right, Liz - which is why my pile of books on my bedside table is now alarmingly huge, I keep being enticed by reviews I see on here! (My poor bank account...)

Cathy Beyers Reading it right now. Very enjoyable.