Benjamin Thomas's Reviews > The Cat Who Robbed a Bank

Aug 24, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: mystery-ameteur-sleuth
Read from August 24 to 30, 2011

As usual, I enjoyed getting back with the old gang of quirky characters in the Cat Who series. But that's about it. I certainly don't read these fluffy short novels for the mystery elements as this one once again proves. The crime is straight forward and the perp is identified pretty early on. I kept half expecting that to be a red herring but it was not to be. The rest of the novel is packed full of daily small town life in the northern US and includes numerous vignettes of the townsfolk telling humorous stories from their past. We do get to learn some of our protagonist's (Jim Qwilleran's) past via some old letters handed to him authored by his mother during her early life but otherwise, there is not much new here.

I expect the rest of the series will be similar entries which I do plan to read at a comfortable pace of 2-3 per year. The author, I've learned, passed away earlier this year at the age of 97 so there will be no more Cat Who books, unless another author picks it up. There have been rumors, due to the author's age, that some of these later books were, in fact, penned by somebody else, but I don't think so. They are just too consistent for that to be the case.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cat Who Robbed a Bank.