Sana's Reviews > Queens of Geek

Queens of Geek by Jen  Wilde

Queens of Geek is a perfect example of a brilliant idea, but poor execution. Honestly this book's got it all: perfect anxiety rep, body rep, bisexual!! rep, geeky kids, people of color!! and the whole supacon thing. But reading about all of this would have been perfect if the writing didn't feel so?? immature and monotonous.

●Charlie is an Asian-Australian bisexual vlogger and an upcoming actress who USES THE WORD BISEXUAL!!!!!, with pink hair and recently left a relationship with a small minded jerk named Reese. I loved reading about Charlie the most because I was super invested in learning about how it was a struggle for her to keep her personal life a secret. A lot of people don't really care to think before they say or do things online or irl about celebrities and how it will affect them. It was nice to get an insight on how celebrities are people too and don't want the whole world knowing private things about them and how hard it is to maintain these two different lives.

●I also loved how Charlie handled rumor's about her ex from her fans. Reese and Charlie were the golden couple and their fans really loved them and still ship them even though Charlie doesn't want to be with him anymore and I agree with Charlie on this because he's a simple minded shit who doesn't believe in bisexuality, which is the stupidest thing ever. She struggled to keep her fans happy by holding hands with him and embracing him in front of the cameras, but internally she wanted to run as far as she could from him. Which leads to her doing what makes her happy instead of choosing to keep other's happy, so you go girl!!!

●Also, Charlie has the cutest relationship with another famous Youtuber in the book and I literally breathed just for them!!! The cutest ff couple ever.

●Tyler is a fat, autistic geek with social anxiety who is also in love with her best friend and is going to her first Supacon and is beyond excited. She's also anxious and nervous about meeting her favorite author and having all eyes on her when given the opportunity to enter a contest.

“That's what we do. We walk a tightrope every day. Getting out the door is a tightrope. Going grocery shopping is a tightrope. Socializing is a tightrope. Things that most people consider to be normal, daily parts of life are the very things we fear and struggle with the most, and yet here we are, moving forward anyway. That's not weak.”

●I love love love how she realized that she shouldn't try to fit in and try to be normal because literally, who she is and what she goes through is normal and perfect and there's nothing wrong with being who you are.

●The writing and plot was what my big problem. There's all these important topics addressed but there's not a lot going on and on top of that the writing felt very monotonous and dull.

●My favorite character is definitely Charlie and I loved her story line much more than Tyler's. Both of these girls are amazing, but Charlie's story was much more interesting for me.

Just because I gave it three stars doesn't mean I hated it. I really really enjoyed this, had my issues but despite them, still liked this book a lot.

---
hi, hello, I've heard there are nerdy geeks and a cute ff relationship so here I am!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queens of Geek.

June 3, 2017 – Shelved
January 3, 2018 – Shelved as: cut-my-left-nut-off-instead
January 3, 2018 – Shelved as: romance
January 3, 2018 – Shelved as: young-adult
January 3, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)

Alice Cai I really liked one of the main characters in this.

message 3: by SNManley (new)

SNManley I am so excited

Sana Alice wrote: "I really liked one of the main characters in this."

I really like Charlie so far!!!

Sana Nenia ✨ Queen of Literary Trash, Protector of Out-of-Print Gems, Khaleesi of Bodice Rippers, Mother of Smut, the Unrepentant, Breaker of Convention ✨ wrote: "LOL the YouTuber girl? She was the only one I liked."

LOL, agreed!!!! I really like her!!

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

if you don't like this im coming for u

a modern day charlie chaplin Charlie’s story arc was my favourite, I liked her so muchhhhhh

Alice Cai lol I almost gave it 3 (instead of 4) for the exact opposite reason. Much better contemporaries out there.

Sana SNManley wrote: "I am so excited"

Ahh i hope you enjoy it!!

message 10: by Sana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sana theo ☀️ wrote: "if you don't like this im coming for u"

I liked it, pls spare me

message 11: by Sana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sana Victoria wrote: "Charlie’s story arc was my favourite, I liked her so muchhhhhh"

Same!!! I really loved her story!!!

message 12: by Sana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sana Alice wrote: "lol I almost gave it 3 (instead of 4) for the exact opposite reason. Much better contemporaries out there."

Each to their own,, i guess

message 13: by Kaylin (new) - added it

Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen) I'm not so patiently awaiting your review because I can decide whether I want to read this or not and your review is going to help this decision. #nopressure

Sol ~ TheBookishKing what a gorgeous review 😍🙌🏽

message 15: by Sana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sana Kaylin wrote: "I'm not so patiently awaiting your review because I can decide whether I want to read this or not and your review is going to help this decision. #nopressure"

i feel ALL THE PRESSURE

message 16: by Sana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sana Solomon wrote: "what a gorgeous review 😍🙌🏽"

thanks my solly 😭❤

message 17: by may ➹ (new) - added it

may ➹ i love this review

message 18: by Sabrina (new) - added it

Sabrina ok bisexual rep I'm down for that - another one to tbr, awesome review I am a big bullet-point fan XD

message 19: by Sana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sana may ➹ wrote: "i love this review"

(view spoiler)

message 20: by Sana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sana Sabrina wrote: "ok bisexual rep I'm down for that - another one to tbr, awesome review I am a big bullet-point fan XD"

yes the bisexual rep was amazing!!! LOL, i love bullet points too, makes my reviews look more organized hahahah.

Mel (Epic Reading) Totally agree!!

message 22: by may ➹ (new) - added it

may ➹ sana wrote: "may ➹ wrote: "i love this review"

[spoilers removed]"

you sap (view spoiler)

message 23: by Sana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sana Mel (Epic Reading) wrote: "Totally agree!!
Especially on the bisexuality. I think that's why I have it four stars in the end. Lol!"

MOOD lol!!!

message 24: by Sana (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sana may ➹ wrote: "sana wrote: "may ➹ wrote: "i love this review"

[spoilers removed]"

you sap [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)