HFK's Reviews > Stephen King's The Stand Vol. 1: Captain Trips

Stephen King's The Stand Vol. 1 by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa

bookshelves: paidkindle, graphics

It has been many, many years since I read King's The Stand, so it is impossible for me to conclude how the graphic adaption compares to the original work, but everyone on the right side of the time map seem to say there is the deepest truthiness and respect towards the wordy, tile-sized masterpiece.

Captain Trips collects the first five issues in this six volume series, and it is one of the strongest starters I have come across since getting back to my comic life. There is an enormous pressure to adapt something this big and dear to many, and there is always a greater chance for it to blow up than become an celebrated part of a legendary story that would hold the dust of time, respectfully.

Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa delivers. It requires a lot of talent to represent multiple key characters within a shortish period of time, but here it is done nearing perfection. The timeline for each character and scene is timed almost flawlessly, there is nothing futile in the way Aguirre-Sacasa moves the story along, and there is quite a lot of depth even in individuals that aren't getting the panel time as much as it would usually require for a reader to get a grip of what someone is.

But the beauty really comes of the way Aguirre-Sacasa is able to capture the essence of how something contagious and deadly becomes an outbreak by transmission. So much accuracy, so much excitement, so much good kind of thrills and emotions. Mike Perkins' illustrations... I do not really have words because they are so outstandingly beautiful and full of many awesome details you want to get yourself hooked on.

We are still at the early stage of something sinister, and I am super excited to continue to the next volume, and more so because thanks to Marvel's recent supersale weekend, I only paid two dollars of each volume, and that is like a mosquito's piss in an ocean, die worthy cheap.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stephen King's The Stand Vol. 1.

June 3, 2017 – Shelved
Started Reading
June 6, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Char (new) - added it

Char Nice review. I'm going to have to check these out when I'm done with the Dark Tower graphic novels.

message 2: by HFK (new) - rated it 4 stars

HFK I think you will dig this one. I would have not read these, probably, without the 70 to 97 percent sale Marvel had with Kindle for many of their titles. I am glad I gave them a go.

message 3: by Ɗẳɳ 2.☊ (new)

Ɗẳɳ  2.☊ Hmm, looks interesting. Nice review, Hunger. I may eventually follow Char's lead in reading both series.

message 4: by HFK (new) - rated it 4 stars

HFK DanDan, I hope you give em a go, too. I have the Dark Tower series on me too, I never read them as novels, though.

message 5: by Ɗẳɳ 2.☊ (new)

Ɗẳɳ  2.☊ A group of pals and I just wrapped up the novels a few months back. It's hard to predict whether you'd love em or loath em—I have numerous friends on each side of the fence. They were mostly middle of the road reads for me, but leaning more towards the love em side. Book 2 was the highlight.

message 6: by Char (last edited Jun 08, 2017 12:11PM) (new) - added it

Char Ɗắɳ 2.✽ wrote: "A group of pals and I just wrapped up the novels a few months back. It's hard to predict whether you'd love em or loath em—I have numerous friends on each side of the fence. They were mostly middle..."

I LOVED the ones with Jae Lee. I'm not enjoying the later ones as much, (I think they're getting a bit repetitive), but as of now, I'm still continuing on. However, I'm glad that I've been getting them from the library because if I had been paying for them, I probably would not have continued on after Jae Lee moved on.

message 7: by HFK (new) - rated it 4 stars

HFK I do not think I will read the books, the more older I get, the harder it feels to dedicate yourself to massive series. Dunno if that makes any sense at all, lol.

I am glad, mirroring to Char's thoughts, that I bought Dark Tower as graphics on sale. I think I paid for all the volumes the same than one volume would normally cost, so it is pretty decent even if I end up disliking it.