Doreen's Reviews > Black Bird of the Gallows

Black Bird of the Gallows by Meg Kassel

bookshelves: arc-or-freebie-from-bea, ya

I received this book from BookExpo America. It's an Advance Reading Copy. I was fortunate to meet the author, who signed it for me! I knew I would enjoy her writing as early as reading page 2 ....... the dad's running shirt is described as being, "a retina-piercing shade of highlighter yellow"! Love it!
The story involves a shy, motherless, teenage girl who falls for the new neighbor; a handsome, charming, teenage boy. Both have troubled pasts and live with secrets that are too difficult for any one person to handle alone. Their lives are further complicated by other-worldly creatures; Harbingers and Beekeepers. These beings are not quite human, not quite animal, not quite dead or alive.
As disaster heads for town, this unlikely couple shares the task of defending the town while trying to save each other. The characters' backstories are intricately woven together, as are their futures. As one chapter ends and another begins, the only constant is, HOPE. That theme permeates the story. Hope is supported by love; a real tenderness and passion between these two characters.
The story is wonderful, as is the writing! It's a YA that is suitable for young people and adults. I'm honored to have had the opportunity to read the ARC ... and ... to have met the lovely author!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Bird of the Gallows.

June 1, 2017 – Started Reading
June 2, 2017 – Finished Reading
June 3, 2017 – Shelved as: arc-or-freebie-from-bea
June 3, 2017 – Shelved
June 3, 2017 – Shelved as: ya

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol Your trip to BEA has already provide you with a winner. That's fantastic. Hope to see more of your stash/grabs, whatever you picked up at BEA here.

Hannah Stahlhut I too decided I would love this book with the "retina-piercing shade of highlighter yellow" line. It was the best.