Aves's Reviews > Dune

Dune by Frank Herbert

I tried. I really, really tried to read this. But I just couldn't do it. I know it's a classic, and that it was such an important book in the early days of the science fiction genre, but I just couldn't read it.

I wasn't invested in the characters. I found the bad guys over-the-top and cheesy in their badness. And the intrigue left me bored to tears rather than riveted.

That said, the world itself was fascinating. It was new, and unique, and I loved that Herbert considered aspects of living on a desert planet--and the inherent issues with water conservation--that most people wouldn't think of.

But that wasn't enough to keep me reading.

My eReader keeps taunting me with "Dune - 40% read" every time I go to my list of books in progress. But I can't bring myself to keep reading. And I really hate not finishing books once I've started them.

I'll refrain from actually rating Dune, because what I read wasn't bad enough to warrant one star, but I didn't like it enough to give it two stars. Which leaves me with no possible star rating to give it.

If you love science fiction as a genre, this is a must-read book. If you're more of a casual SF reader, and are perhaps not so invested in the genre as you could be, consider giving this a pass.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dune.

09/14/2011
09/14/2011
12.0% "This book has been dragging from the first chapter. If it wasn't such an iconic piece of SF, I would have long given up on reading it."
show 3 hidden updates…