Jim's Reviews > Vineland

Vineland by Thomas Pynchon

6020795

bookshelves: novels, lrp-going-further, author-north-american, 20th-century, read-in-2018

I read this when it first came out and I have to say I enjoyed it even more the second time through!

Will write more later, but I will say, a good read to contrast with our new world of internet espionage.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vineland.

August 24, 2011 – Shelved
December 29, 2017 –
page 339
January 1, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
January 1, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Warwick I don't know if this is his best, but it's my favourite.

message 2: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Warwick wrote: "I don't know if this is his best, but it's my favourite."

One of his funniest. I read it when it was first released. Just received a new copy so I'm going to give it a reread, maybe this winter.

message 3: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant It's seven years later, Jim, how much longer do we have to wait?

message 4: by Jim (last edited May 10, 2018 02:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Paul wrote: "It's seven years later, Jim, how much longer do we have to wait?"

Actually, I reread it in december but never got around to adding a new review... I'm so lazy!

for the moment, let's just say that I enjoyed it very much and it's great!!!

there is much lore about the government's manipulation of hippies busted for drug use/possession and revolutionary activities. Pynchon creates an image suggesting that the insanity was equally distributed between the cops and the criminals, the major difference being that the cops were armed with guns and judges and so were able to dominate the hippies for their own power-trippy purposes... worth a read if you keep in mind that you're entering Pynchon's universe, which is pretty effin' twisted...

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul Bryant yes - all due respect, but I get the feeling that me and Pynchon will never be friends. Ain't read a single line of his, but enough reviews to know. Too much like hard work.

message 6: by Jim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Paul wrote: "yes - all due respect, but I get the feeling that me and Pynchon will never be friends. Ain't read a single line of his, but enough reviews to know. Too much like hard work."

in that case, try The Crying of Lot 49... it's short and less psychotic than some of his later books...