Jeffrey Wilson's Reviews > That Which Should Not Be

That Which Should Not Be by Brett J. Talley

3661971

Author Brett J. Talley has breathed new life into legends and stories as old as the Cthulhu creature itself. More importantly, he has captured the voice of the legendary writers who go before him. Told in the classic literary horror style of Lovecraft, Shelley, and Stoker, this book is alive with imagery and rich characters which bring to life the terrifying story in a way that will keep you up at night long after you have turned the last page.

Told through the eyes of five main characters, the book strings together four stories that each could stand alone as masterful shorts, with a fifth that ties them together and moves them towards a terrifying ending. Carter Weston is a student from the legendary Miskatonic University, with a smiling nod to Lovecraft for the reference, and is charged with the task of recovering an ancient book of incredible value and, it turns out, untold power to awaken an evil that could destroy the world. On his quest he meets four men, each of whom share with him their own personal tales of horror which bring to life classic creatures like the wendigo, witches, the Kraken, and the terror of an insane asylum. In the tales of terror from the dark woods of New England to the mountains of Eastern Europe to the blue water oceans onboard great sailing ships from long ago, young Carter finds a thread that moves him on his quest towards its inevitable, spine chilling conclusion.

In setting, characters, and tone Mr. Talley has done far more than mimic the classic masters of the genre—he has embodied them completely. This is an absolute must read for all lovers of the genre and any lover of well told stories. If you like adventure stories mixed with mystery and ancient legends of horror—you have found your perfect read in That Which Should Not Be.

Brett J. Talley has made a dramatic entrance onto the fiction writing stage with this, his first book. I have no doubt his name will be well known and I look forward to his next works.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Which Should Not Be.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by CD (new)

CD September 24, 2011

Is this a paid review? The book is not even available to or for professional/retail distribution including retailers, libraries, or other publishers.

I am going to post this comment to several of the reviews of That Which Should Not Be as I am very curious particularly when the reviews are so gushing and obviously promotionaly obsequious.

message 2: by CD (new)

CD September 24, 2011

I've asked in other posts to reviews on this book "Is this a paid review?"

The book is not even available to or for professional/retail distribution including retailers, libraries, or other publishers. This reviewer has written no other reviews in over a year of Goodreads membership. That they started with a book not available except through obviously special channels, the integrity of this commentary needs some questioning.

I am going to post this comment and variations to several of the reviews of That Which Should Not Be as I am very curious particularly when the reviews are so gushing and promotional.

It brings into question the validity of the usage of the Goodreads website by authors and publishers who may be salting the reviews in an at best, disingenuous manner

Jeffrey Wilson CD,

Your comments reflect the attitudes that always drive me away from boards like this. It sounds like perhaps you didn't enjoy the book as much as I did....That's fine. Your opinion of the work is different than mine....No problem, and in fact that's the whole point of sites like these. But instead of simply posting your own, honest review of the work, supporting your impressions with your own opinions, you have to instead attack the integrity of others whose opinions differ from yours. Why? Is it not possible that I enjoyed a book that you didn't? What arrogance to assume that if I like a book you don't I must have therefore been paid off for my opinion by the writer or publisher. Such accusations are an insult to me, the author, and the publisher, and frankly they are an embarrassment to you. I received the book as part of an early reviewer program for readers and (as you can see from my review) I really liked it a lot. I have never met Mr. Talley and I didn't get paid to read the book.

How about just reading the books and sharing your opinions with us? We'll all respect yours and you can work on respecting ours. Leave the personal attacks for some other forum.

Jeffrey Wilson SO Mr. Talley went on to garner a Bram Stoker award nomination for his book-- apparently many others share my "gushing" opinion.

Still not a peep, or more appropriately an apology, from CD for his personal attacks on my integrity.

And no review from him either. Maybe he should spend more time reading books and less time worrying about what the rest of us read and like