Jennifer Lane's Reviews > The Resurrection of Dylan McAthie

The Resurrection of Dylan McAthie by Nancee Cain

Jun 04, 2017

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, dysfunctional-family-fun, male-pov, music, psychology, series, wounded-hero

He Lives?

After falling for Nancee Cain's spunky heroines and complex heroes in her supernatural novels, I was excited to learn she wrote a contemporary romance. She sticks to her Southern settings in this story, which takes place in Pine Bluff, Alabama.

Dylan McAthie is a rock star who has fallen on hard times. The lead singer of his band as well as his pregnant ex-girlfriend have died from drug overdoses. He's alienated from his family. And, he has sustained severe physical injuries from a car accident.

Enter nurse Jennifer Adams, ten years his junior. The fact that Dylan's physician brother hired her does not endear her to Dylan. She bears the brunt of his misplaced anger for his screwed-up life.

I was intrigued and amused as the two sassed each other and got under each other's skin. It's quite a case of opposites attract. I also was horrified by something that happened to Jennifer.

The church old bitties are a lot of fun! Jennifer has to deal with being the preacher's daughter, which makes it hard for her to find her own path. I liked her awesome nursing skills how she handled the situation with David.

There are plenty of obstacles and misunderstandings between Jen and Dylan. Jen becomes a bit ditzy due to some events that happen to her, and Dylan constantly takes one step forward and two back. At times he's thoughtful (like with the amethyst ring) and at times he's self-absorbed. He's not sure if he wants to be a good guy or bad guy, and he often hovers somewhere in between.

I would've liked to know more about Dylan's music. What inspired him to learn to play guitar? How'd he go from a local home-grown band to international rock stardom?

I think I also wanted more healing for Dylan to consider this a true resurrection. It's realistic that he keeps returning to cigarettes and booze (preventing resolution of conflict with Jennifer) but it frustrated me all the same. When he starts treating Jen with sweetness, I felt a little taken by surprise.

I look forward to the next novel in the Pine Bluff series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Resurrection of Dylan McAthie.

June 2, 2017 – Started Reading
June 2, 2017 – Shelved
June 2, 2017 –
page 70
26.12% "The chemistry is combustible!"
June 4, 2017 – Shelved as: contemporary-romance
June 4, 2017 – Shelved as: dysfunctional-family-fun
June 4, 2017 – Shelved as: male-pov
June 4, 2017 – Shelved as: music
June 4, 2017 – Shelved as: psychology
June 4, 2017 – Shelved as: series
June 4, 2017 – Shelved as: wounded-hero
June 4, 2017 – Finished Reading

Teresa Terrific review, Jennifer. This one sounds very interesting, with the trauma and background of addiction. Your review intrigued me. May add to TBR.

Jennifer Lane Thank you, Teresa! Nancee is a wonderful author.